Did I make the right choice

Thebigbarkhouski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I bought myself a Nikon D3300 and now I'm reading so much about mirrorless cameras.....did I make the right choice? Seems like the only real advantage the mirrorless has over DSLR is size and weight. What are your thoughts?

I doubt you'll regret it once you start shooting.

Also, since you already made a decision, stop researching.

Your right I always look at what I didn't get aftet a purchase and I don't know why. But so far I am really happy with my DSLR. Thanks

Mirrorless and DSLR are different in some way and same in another.
First they are using same sensors thus the image quality is same.
DSLR auto focus system usually is better
There is more lens selection from Canon and Nikon then mirrorless cameras and I mean crop sensor and full frame sensors.
Each has its pro's and con's and choosing one over the other is not a mistake but more a matter of personal preference.
At the end of the day both systems can produce good pictures, it really is more about the users skills to know how to really produce these images then the cameras themselves.
Rest assure you bought a fantastic camera and dont have any regrets, now my advise is concentrate at improving your skills then worrying if you should have bought mirrorless over DSLR or DSLR over mirrorless.

Good luck

Thanks I'v been shooting for the last week non stop. I'm still very new to photography and lots to learn but between this site, some manuals, how to books and of course classic Google search I will improve my skills.

Thanks I'v been shooting for the last week non stop. I'm still very new to photography and lots to learn but between this site, some manuals, how to books and of course classic Google search I will improve my skills.

With that attitude you will go far. Welcome to The Photo Forum.

I think if you are starting out in photography, a entry level DSLR is the best way to go if you are serious. So I think you made the right decision. In all honestly..I don't see that many people when I go to events using a mirrorless..they are just not there yet. Majority of it is smartphones and dslrs. Have fun with it and just experiment and experiment.

D3300 is great little camera, I say this from the point of view that I own a d3100 and that's a great little camera, but d3300 is better in nearly every way.

I have had and indeed do have more upmarket cameras, but while there are certain things other cameras have that entry level cameras don't have, I don't find I use these extras much

Stop worrying, your did get the best bang for the buck that was possible. Mirrorless are the newest fashion, but so far they cant compete in the bang for the buck area. Smaller size costs extra with cameras, in multiple ways.

I still remember my little d3200 fondly. This upgrade should be equally as good if not better. Happy hunting.

I still remember my little d3200 fondly. This upgrade should be equally as good if not better. Happy hunting.

As you should! It hasn't even been 2 years! Hahaha.

@OP:

The D3300 is amazing. The big advantage to mirrorless cameras is that they have less moving parts! You don't have to worry about as much cleaning or upkeep, or your shutter count. You get some advantages here and there. At the price-point, I'd pick the D3300 over and over and over again, over any mirrorless alternative.

This is why they take away the menus after you order.

So I bought myself a Nikon D3300 and now I'm reading so much about mirrorless cameras.....did I make the right choice? Seems like the only real advantage the mirrorless has over DSLR is size and weight. What are your thoughts?

I think when you see a can marked "worms" then sometimes it's best to just leave it closed.

DSLR has some advantages over mirrorless. Mirrorless has some advantages over DSLR. The folks that chose DSLR did so for a variety of reasons myself included. The folks that chose mirrorless did so for a variety of reasons. Since every photographer is different, and the types of shooting situations they find themselves in most often also vary widely, there is no one size fits all best choice in camera for everyone.

That sadly, however, will probably not prevent the snark fest that is likely to ensue from the way the question was phrased as people on both sides line up to defend their choice of DSLR or Mirrorless.

Sadly once that can is open, eh.. yikes.

As you should! It hasn't even been 2 years! Hahaha.

@OP:

The D3300 is amazing. The big advantage to mirrorless cameras is that they have less moving parts! You don't have to worry about as much cleaning or upkeep, or your shutter count. You get some advantages here and there. At the price-point, I'd pick the D3300 over and over and over again, over any mirrorless alternative.
Its not even been a year to be honest. But it all feels like a lifetime ago all the same. I do have to say that i did take better pictures with my d3200 because of my more practised hand, soon after i bought my d7100 i lost my good friend and i fell out of love with photography because of it. Now here are my two new friends called: big bear and little bear, they are brothers:
Big Bear & Little Bear by miran4000, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back