Did I mess up negotiating a price?

Joeboo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A large, local construction company contacted me a couple weeks ago to license one of my images for their website and brochure. I shot an indoor panorama for a local organization that wanted a framed print of their remodeled building to give out to their architects, contractors, etc. I've never licensed an image before so I've been scrambling to come up with a good price for the both of us.

I initially quoted $2500 for an unlimited license and I told the guy I can quote a lower price if we broke it down by project and time (a restricted license). He came back and said they would be more interested in a 6 month license to use it twice on the website (with the assumption they would renew for long term use), and a separate license for the brochure when they do a redesign early next year. So, I quoted $350 for the website with a discount for a longer license up front. This was almost a week ago and I haven't heard back yet. Do you think I scared him off? I had a hard time deciding on a good price and I don't want to rip them off, but on the other hand, I'm trying to run a business and I'd like to get paid.

Am I being a spaz? Should I contact them again and see if they were expecting a better price?
Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Can't comment on the value you assign your work.
But, when dealing with larger companies decisions can get hung up for a long time. If your offer is declined you may never have a response. That's business. Not cordial but that's the way it is.
However, do watch for possible unauthorized use of the picture. If they do use it without permission, bill them big-big money.

I take it you don't use software like fotoQuote.

I'm also wondering if you are aware of the pricing and licensing resources available at www.asmp.org.

As Rifleman1776 alluded to, make sure the copyright to your images are registered at www.copyright.gov.

My intellectual rights attorney has told me many times that once an infringement has been discovered, the 1st mistake most photographers make is, sending the infringer a bill. http://www.photoattorney.com/?p=515

Last edited:
I just discovered American Society of Media Photographers a couple days ago so I haven't made it through all the information there yet, and I'll have to look at fotoQuote. Thanks for the info though.

I know that generalized pricing help isn't that useful with all the variables that can dictate the value of my work. I'll keep an eye on their website though just in case.

I take it you don't use software like fotoQuote.

I'm also wondering if you are aware of the pricing and licensing resources available at www.asmp.org.

As Rifleman1776 alluded to, make sure the copyright to your images are registered at www.copyright.gov.

My intellectual rights attorney has told me many times that once an infringement has been discovered, the 1st mistake most photographers make is, sending the infringer a bill. Help! I've Been Infringed! | Photo Attorney

The only work I have sold in recent years has been to magazines. No negotiating, they TELL what they will pay. Take it or hike. So, I am out of date re: your comments. As for billing. At one time, I might have sent my cousin, Rocco, from Chicago, to present the bill. Those days are past.

My intellectual rights attorney has told me many times that once an infringement has been discovered, the 1st mistake most photographers make is, sending the infringer a bill. Help! I've Been Infringed! | Photo Attorney

I suspect that if you send a bill then it becomes a dispute over non-payment and whether or not you actually had a contract for the amount billed, therefore no longer under the concern of copyright infringement. my guess is the company's lawyer would argue that you gave them implied permisson to use it by sending a bill rather than telling them to cease and desist.

back to the original question: you should make a follow up call and ask them what the status of the project is? maybe they want a different shot now, maybe the price is too high, you won't know unless you call back. I will tell you this when I need to hire a service man I make a call and if i have to leave a message they will not get work from me unless they return my call promtly. I simply will not go out of my way to be their customer.

On to my opinion: you already have the shot, which you sold once so even a lower price sale is money in your pocket.

cheers
jerry

Most reactions

Back