Did I Miss Focus On Some Of These?

DavidSR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I would just like to know if these are miss focused or if they look fine to your eyes. These will be displayed on large T.V.'s and I would like to have the sharpest picture possible. Keep in mind most of these were shot at 1/60 so I might have some motion blur in a few. #1 and #3 were both shot with my 55-250mm IS.

Thanks!

409924410_Qe9F4-L.jpg

409924274_wFEuk-L.jpg

409924141_R2mUA-L.jpg

409923976_BPHub-L.jpg

Last edited:
#3 is definitely out of focus (looks like the focus might be on the phone)

#2 isn't too bad but the focus seems like it might be on her jacket, however her face is still fairly in focus

#5 looks ok

The other 2 look really sharp

I noticed that the phone in #3 looks in focus after I uploaded them to my computer...Weird though, because I had my left point selected for focus, so I have no idea how I could have only got the phont in focus..I also thought it might be motion blur because I used my zoom for this shot, but the phone wouldn't be in focus either if it was motion blur..I'll just have to reshoot and see what happens! :)

Thanks for the comments!

Anyone else?

Oh, I forgot to include that these were all shot at about ISO 400, F4-4.5 and bounced flash with 1/4 power.

Plenty sharp enough for viewing at a company function.

That's what I wanted to be sure of! Thanks! Do you recommend me to shoot them again? Anything you would do differently? Oh and I can't shoot in portrait because my flash doesn't swivel so it'll have to remain in landscape for now.

Thanks!

I think the first two are in focus. Although, #2 that window is totally blown.

Thanks for the comment! Yeah..ISO 400 with some daylight and shooting at 1/60 is a no no..:)..I didn't think of closing the blinds, but I think I'll try that next time I shoot.

If you have time for a reshoot and are questionable on these.... why not?

You didn't mention what your ISO was, but a higher setting would give you a faster shutter speed = less motion blur. I don't know if the XTi has exposure compensation that can be adjusted, but that is another option.

Oh wait... you have a flash. Did you use it?

Look at the post right above yours :)..ISO 400..and yes, all of these were bounced flash, but some still came out dark! I'll either have to shoot in RAW and make adjustments or like you mentioned used EC. I never use EC, but heard you can't use it in Manual. Since my flash is fully manual..I can't switch over to AV or Shutter Priority because my exposure would be off. Maybe I can try to up the flashes power?

Thanks for the comment!

When I finally hit the submit button, I saw you had already answered the ISO question. :lol:

Okay, so then, can't you flash synch your shutter up to 1/200s? Regardless, I think a shutter speed of at least 1/125 is needed.

I shoot Nikon, but I would think that Exposure Comp works in Manual on Canons too.

The reason I wanted to use 1/60 was to get as much ambient light in the shot as I could. I thought if I shot any faster than everything would be dark except my subject. I can try again with 1/125 and see what I get :)

Well, I thought I heard that EC doesn't work in Manual on another forum, but I could be wrong. I'll check later today.

Thanks for the help!

Manual *is* exposure compensation mode. You just pick the best exposure and leave it there.

Knock down the power of your flash so you don't lose ambient light, but it acts a a fill flash.

If your flash head rotates, you can do this. It still lightens the scene, but is not in your subjects face. Also, if you have an assistant to walk around with you, they can hold a reflector (any white surface like poster board) and bounce off that. If you're bouncing off painted walls in an office, they are seldom white and will cast a color.

Speaking of your subjects, think composition and be aware of things like the reflection on her glasses in #1.

If you have enough light in the room, such as in photo #2, I would have lowered my ISO to 100 to get the SS up to 1/100. I think with a slower SS speed the picture will come out a bit soft.

Manual *is* exposure compensation mode. You just pick the best exposure and leave it there.
Yes, but not quite the same animal as tweaking your exposure value (EV) or flash value (FV).

Most reactions

Back