Did I miss my focus?

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by Harmony, May 22, 2008.

1. Harmony

Harmony TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think I might have... the first thorn is good the second is only half in. I was at f/2.8 so I should have had a wide enough plane, but I was in a hurry.

Did I miss the focus, and is there anything else that you feel should be changed, edited, etc, in any way?

[​IMG]

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    First off, not quite sure what you mean by 'wide enough plane' in relation to the apeture. My work computer won't let me see the EXIF data, so I don't know what camera/lens combination you were using, but 2.8 is normally too large an apeture for any sort of macro work. With respect to the picture, a couple of points:

(1) If your subject is those thorns only, try and re-shoot with a different composition, eliminating all fo the out-of-focus "stuff" to the right, and in particular, the almost focused leaf which is rather distracting. What you can't do in composition, you can do with a crop.

(2) It's at least a half, and probably more like a full stop under-exposed (again, crappy work computer).

Overall a good start. A crop, some lightening and a little saturation would bring it a long way. Keep up the effort!

~John

3. dadCameraGuy

dadCameraGuy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    check out this link John!

http://regex.info/exif.cgi

i added his little bookmark thingie to my Safari bookmark bar and bam! just about any photo i can see the EXIF data for.

awesome stuff!

ETA: here's the exif for this image

4. Harmony

Harmony TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The larger the aperture, the smaller the plane of focus. Once you get down to f/1.4 the area that is in focus is tiny, and, using manual focus without a tripod, very hard to get the focus correct. In this case, I was at f/2.8 hand-held. Also, in case you were wondering for the EXIF, check out the link, everything is accurate except for the lens. I was using a Nikkor manual 55mm. It's limit is f/2.8, not f/1.0.

I was thinking of cropping out the leaf, yeah.

That would have been me using a fast shutter speed to make up for the fact that I was close up, hand-held with limited light

Thanks for your feedback. Anybody else?

5. Harmony

Harmony TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    bump