Did you edit?!

Snowbear and Elngerson are making a specific point that whether you shoot film, jpegs or raw, every image must be 'developed' in some way before you can see it. Embedded in what they say is the meaning that the endpoint of the 'development' or editing is the choice of someone - the lab, the shooter or the engineers who developed the camera - so believing that because you, personally, don't use software to change the development path, the picture remains unedited is first wrong and then naive.

Believing that not doing any editing oneself is somehow purer or better or more true to tradition is silly.

Snowbear and Elngerson are making a specific point that whether you shoot film, jpegs or raw, every image must be 'developed' in some way before you can see it. Embedded in what they say is the meaning that the endpoint of the 'development' or editing is the choice of someone - the lab, the shooter or the engineers who developed the camera - so believing that because you, personally, don't use software to change the development path, the picture remains unedited is first wrong and then naive.

Believing that not doing any editing oneself is somehow purer or better or more true to tradition is silly.
Man I know this a really old Thread, but it goes to what I was expressing in another recent thread about editing, when does photography become a painting and being 'pure'. These comments in this thread may clarify for me where I think I am. In that understanding your cameras processes are paramount, but that editing has its place and generally is essential. Making the movement from naive and silly slower than I should. But I am in movement.

There is no pure. We aren't seeing the light. We are seeing the light that has been recorded as something else and then transformed back into a visual medium by interpretation of some process.

I have never seen a discussion about this that isn't populated by people, usually men, trying very hard to prove that their way is the right way. And often they may be great as pixel peepers and copyists, because they pay a lot of attention to that but they are generally not artists.

I still get amused when people say the Jpeg they posted is SOOC with "no" editing

Most reactions

New Topics

Back