Difference between D90 and D5000?

Chriss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there really any major difference between the two? On all the comparing camera sites ive been on, they seem almost exactly alike. Is there anything I havent seen? Thanks!

D90 has a built in auto focus motor which is amazing if you have older lenses that will AF but only if you have a AF motor in your camera.

also the D5000 has more numbas son, numbas

The D90 is better.

D90 has a command and sub command dial. I commander mode for flashes. A top view screen that allows you to see all your settings. More easy access buttons. Built in AF motor. Better low light performance, and a ton more advantages. The only REALY dis-ad I see it the D5000 has a rotating screen. But overall the D90 is a much better camera.

So the D90 would be the better of the two?

And would you say its worth saving up the extra 300 bucks to go from the D5000 to the D90?

And would you say its worth saving up the extra 300 bucks to go from the D5000 to the D90?
That's something you'll have to decide since you're the one looking for a camera.

IF you are looking for a camera that will last you longer I would have to say yes..

Yes. I ALMOST jumped on the D5000, but knew I would have just kicked myself for not moving up to the D90, which was just a few hundred more.

When I had made that decision, the next thing that popped in my head was, well why not just spend a few hundred more and pick up the D300?!?! Then I went and looked at the 3 models and compared sensor performance and decided that the D90 offered the features I wanted, but none of the ones I didn't feel I needed. It also had the best image quality, which was what I was really looking for, a camera that could produce the best image.

Alright thank you very much guys.

IF you are looking for a camera that will last you longer I would have to say yes..
Why will the D90 last longer?

Not actually longevity as a camera but it will last longer in terms of wanting to buy a new camera. While you may want to upgrade in say 1 year with the d5000 the d90 would keep you over longer.

People usually concentrate on what the D90 has that the D5000 does not; the D5000 sports some features that the D90 lacks, such as:

Intervelometer
More scene modes
Quiet shutter mode
Along with the articulated display it also auto rotates the screen.
Handy rangefinder mode when using lenses in manual focus.

Honestly, I had a hard time choosing which one to keep since they both have pretty cool features - combine then for a D90s please. :D

In the end I kept the D90, but shortly after I exchanged it for the D300s thanks to my lovely wife's understanding and my future plans for photography.

Last edited:
People usually concentrate on what the D90 has that the D5000 does not; the D5000 sports some features that the D90 lacks, such as:

Intervelometer
More scene modes
Quiet shutter mode
Along with the articulated display it also auto rotates the screen.
Handy rangefinder mode when using lenses in manual focus.

Honestly, I had a hard time choosing which one to keep since they both have pretty cool features - combine then for a D90s please. :D

In the end I kept the D90, but shortly after I exchanged it for the D300s thanks to my lovely wife's understanding and my future plans for photography.

True but I look at it this way the d5000 is not water proof so leaving it outside to take pictures using the is intervelomter pointless. The quiet mode is useless, maybe 1-2 uses. The articulated screen is really only useful in shooting some situations, but I found myself not using it and just getting down anyway because it was easier to change settings and such. Scene modes were the only real thing I really liked about the d5000 more then the d90. This is coming from a person who had the d5000 and exchanged it for a d90.

Still worth mentioning... some people may have a need for some of the features the D5000 has that the D90 does not, making the D90 the wrong choice.

Some would say the top LCD is useless and would prefer more scene modes, or the wireless commander is useless and would prefer a rangefinder, etc.

The image quality is identical after all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back