difference between various Nikons

ShutterSpeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Teresina, Brazil otherwise known as the End of the
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife and I own a D40x...and I'm looking to buy another camera in the next few months. I really enjoy Nikon so far and would like to stick with it, but don't know what the differences are between various models.

The quality of images from the D40x is great. I've recently learned how to use the majority of the functions of it with ease making all adjustments manually for each given shot and lighting situation. I always use RAW, so, I'm getting the maximum quality I possibly can since I am doing artistic photos.

Is there a significant difference in the D40x and the D90? or another comparable version?

No offence, but you're going at this bass-ackwards. Decide what your requirements are, what features you need, and what your budget is, then look into what models will meet your needs. There's nothing wrong with the D40x, and you'll be hard pressed to tell an image shot with it from one shot with a D90, or D300. Why not take the money that new body would cost and put it into a lens instead?

AF motor on the D90. Reason enough to upgrade.

Unelss you need more camera to sell photos, the D40X should be plenty for most people's needs.

You already have 10MP in your D40X, unless you can justify the need for a D90, suggest you spend your $$ on better glass....

Have your better glass ready to go, wait for the next generation of bodies to com out, then get one of them, or a D90 or a D300 at a much better price than you would pay for one right now.

Camera bodies become obsolete quickly, high-quality lenses can be used for years to come.

actually, the new camera would be for me. Technically, the D40x belongs to my wife. Since we'd like to do this together, and maybe get into a business of weddings, family photos, etc, our approach would be less formal taking pictures of unplanned moments. So, with both of us taking pictures, we both can focus on different things.

I appreciate the advice. I may invest in another D40x for myself but with a better lens. She's running the factor 18-55 lens, but I really do a lot of scenery and landscapes, (night and day) whereas she does close ups and portraits. (flowers, animals, children, people).

So, a D40x with a much better lens can probably help get me started.

One of the best photographers in Brasil (who happens to be a friend of the family) uses a D300 with superb lenses..but he also has numerous other cameras and uses multiple flashes on most prepared photography.

For the money, and for what they do, this side of the D90, the Nikon bodies I like best are the D40 and D200.

If you were to get another D40 or D40x, the lenses you both will work on both bodies. Is the D40 X worth the additional cost over a D40 to you?

If you get another body of that same series, then you can build a nice collection of lenses to complement each other, not duplicate. Or get basic lenses for both cameras, and share the more expensive lenses between the two of you.

Be sure to get a "nifty 50" somewhere along the line.

If you're looking to get into weddings and professional shoots, I would definitely recommend not having 2 D40/D40x.

You'll want to get more creative with light & exposure/perspective as you gain experience, and the lack of AF Motor will limit lens options and wireless command of speedlights is a minus for sure.

My suggestion would be to get a D80 as your new body if money is a factor, and then start investing in fast lenses (2.8 or faster). If $ isn't a factor I would get a D90/D300. If you plan to do weddings, a D40x with kit lens isn't going to get you where you want to be (unless that's a low-budget wedding photography business).

Then again, if you're friends with the top photog in your country (who uses a D300?), don't listen to me! Lucky you for having a great mentor so close!

Oh yeah, used D200 would be good too....I've seen some incredible weddings shot with a D200, so if your skills are up for it, that camera won't hinder you.

This guy is my favorite wedding photographer. I believe he used nothing but D200's until he purchased D3s this year.

http://meninenuotrauka.lt/gallery/jolanta_rolandas/

whoever it was that said get another D40x because you can shares lens' is crazy... any nikon mount lens will fit on any nikon SLR.. you just loose the ability to autofocus... a nikon lens from 1960 will work on your d40x, just as it will work on the d90, the d300.. etc...

whoever it was that said get another D40x because you can shares lens' is crazy... any nikon mount lens will fit on any nikon SLR.. you just loose the ability to autofocus... a nikon lens from 1960 will work on your d40x, just as it will work on the d90, the d300.. etc...

Easy now - I don't think that's exactly what he meant....it's just a benefit. He wasn't saying that other cameras wouldn't be compatible.

You're also kind of incorrect in your broad statement that any Nikon lens will work....it's a lot more complicated than that. Some will not AF, some will not meter. That said, 99% of what you'll find today WILL work in some way or another.

But working without AF, isn't fully working, or fully compatible.

The statement that "any Nikon mount lens will fit on any Nikon SLR" is not completely accurate. Some series of lenses will not even fit, much less work, or meter, or AF, especially on the D40, D40X, and D60 series.

Most will fit, but not all will AF or are fully compatible.

If he had chosen two bodies from the D40 / D40X / D60 series, all lenses purchased for those would be fully compatible with both camera bodies, fit, working, AF and all.

But camera bodies from that series are not so good for shooting weddings.

a nikon lens from 1960 will work on your d40x, just as it will work on the d90, the d300.. etc...

I am a good example of this. I have a 55mm 1.2 from the early 70's that I use on my 40. Everything is manual. Aperature and focusing. The only that isn't is ISO and shutter speed.

STILL trying to master it.

Yeah, but for a nifty 50, and a couple of non Nikon 2.8 zooms I plan to buy, most of what I would ever buy will be Nikon " DX " lenses which will be fully compatible with any Nikon DSLR that I have, or would ever buy.

When I say work, for me, I want it to function fully, fit, take a good pic, zoom, meter, and AF.

These old soon-to-be 59 year-old eyes are too weak to worry about manual focusing.

The nifty 50 doesn't AF, but that is worth it for now, until I decide to get the newest DX 1.4 if price ever drops in the future.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back