Differences in lenses

billy_the_kid43

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok here is my first post. I am getting back into photography after a several year lapse due to life changes. So I am going to purchase my first DSLR. After much research I have decided on a Nikon D90.

I was decided on the lenses until yesterday when I was able to get to the camera store to handle the camera and lenses for the first time. My original thought was to get the Nikon 18-55 VR and the Nikon 55-200 VR. After talking to the salesman at the counter who has been in photography for quite some time convinced me that I should instead get the 18-105 VR because it was a better made lens. He showed me how it was heavier than the 18-55 and had a larger aperture. He also said that the silver ring on the 18-55 signified that it was a lesser grade lens whereas the gold lettering on the 18-105 meant it was of better grade.

What is your thoughts on this? Was he telling me the truth or just trying to sell me a more expensive product?

Ok here is my first post. I am getting back into photography after a several year lapse due to life changes. So I am going to purchase my first DSLR. After much research I have decided on a Nikon D90.

I was decided on the lenses until yesterday when I was able to get to the camera store to handle the camera and lenses for the first time. My original thought was to get the Nikon 18-55 VR and the Nikon 55-200 VR. After talking to the salesman at the counter who has been in photography for quite some time convinced me that I should instead get the 18-105 VR because it was a better made lens. He showed me how it was heavier than the 18-55 and had a larger aperture. He also said that the silver ring on the 18-55 signified that it was a lesser grade lens whereas the gold lettering on the 18-105 meant it was of better grade.

What is your thoughts on this? Was he telling me the truth or just trying to sell me a more expensive product?
Which 18-55 VR are you refering to. There are 2 versions available and have a significant differnce in cost.

The better of the two 18-55 VR's and the 55-200 VR are both pretty good lenses for the money, about $400 together (B&H Photo Video) They usually sell for less if bought as part of a kit with the D90.

The 18-105 is an equal, but not better, lens and it sells for about $330 by itself (B&H Photo Video).

There's only one 18-55 VR and it's the same grade as the 18-105 VR and 55-200 VR. The reason the 18-105 weighs more has nothing to do with quality, it's simply got more material.

Can't go wrong either way, just depends if the slightly longer reach is worth swapping lenses to your or not.

I'd probably go with the 18-105 VR for a decent walk around lens and then eventually get yourself some nicer glass.

Well I am not familiar with the 18-105mm, I am thinking the salesman was trying to do just that, upsell a product that gets him more commission. I like my 18-55mm and 55-200mm setup as they are both nice entry level lenses. Light weight lets me carry them around easier and the extra 95mm of range you get seems worth it.

FM Reviews - Nikon zoom lenses

This site has a lot of good reviews. Im pretty sure the 18-105mm is still considered an entry level lens so it wont be the world's greatest lens. Good luck in making your choice. :thumbup::D

for not much more than the 18-105 you can usually find the 18-55 and the 55-200 set. i'd do that.

There's only one 18-55 VR and it's the same grade as the 18-105 VR and 55-200 VR. The reason the 18-105 weighs more has nothing to do with quality, it's simply got more material.

Can't go wrong either way, just depends if the slightly longer reach is worth swapping lenses to your or not.

I'd probably go with the 18-105 VR for a decent walk around lens and then eventually get yourself some nicer glass.
$109.95
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens

$179.95
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX Nikkor Lens

I bought my D90 with the 18-105 with I believe is the usual "kit lens" that comes with it. It's been good so far. It's also still the only lens I have and covers what I need to usually. It's a good walk-around lens. I can't compare it to any other lenses because I've never had any (yet) :lol: Hope that helps, but probably doesn't!

Thank you for all your replies. I decided to go with the 18-55 and 55-200. I also got the 35mm f/1.8 as well. Added the Hoya CPOL and Hoya Clear Protector filters. Also, got the Lowepro 200 slingshot pack. Looking forward to learning how to use and taking the first pics with this equipment.:mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back