Different Cameras For Indoor, Outdoor and Events

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by LarissaPhotography, Jan 4, 2009.

1. LarissaPhotography

LarissaPhotography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    We use a camera for all our in-studio pictures and different cameras for outdoor and event photography. How many different cameras does everyone keep on hand for different types of photography?

2. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I doubt that unless you are a professional, that many here have different cameras for different kinds of photography.

Basically, there are just 2 groups anyway:

- Slow Cameras with VERY high resolution for static pics like portraiture, landscapes, etc...

- Fast cameras with VERY low noise at high ISO for anything involving low light and motion like churches or sports.

What else is there for the professional?

For me personally, I don't blow up my prints into 36 X 24 inches, so big MP cameras are useless... however, my photography takes me into poorly lit locations where movement or motion are a major factor, so for me, my D700 is literally the best camera made IN THE WORLD for my needs. If someone asked me for a listing of what the SINGLE PERFECT camera would be, 99% of that list would be in the spec sheet of the D700. Besides, even at 12MP, I can do 16 X 20 pics without concern and that is about 2 times as big as the biggest picture I even plan to print out.

3. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What Jerry stated already, but let me add this. I think there is something to be said for a MF (be it film or digital) for portraits and landscapes. Some people really do want 20X30 or larger prints of their wedding formals....

4. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is a lot to be said for MF... I just totally forgot about it, sorry. :lmao:
    They definitely fall into the Slow Camera grouping.

5. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Very true. Slowwwww...

6. uplander

uplander TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a friend who has access to a Canon iPF 8100 who has been bugging me to send him a file or two to print large. So I sent him a couple of JPEGS from my 40D ( 10.1 MP sensor)

He printed them out at 36x52. You have to get about 2 inches from them to see any pixelation. He sent me the prints and they are just awesome. I find it hard to believe anyone can have a problem printing out 20 x 36 with a sensor of at least 8MP.

7. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I shot an image last year with my old D40(6.1megapixals) and printed it to 20X30 with very little, if any pixelation.

8. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like 5Ds for everything. They rock at ISO 100 and ISO 3200. I rarely choose to use any other camera these days. I have a G7 for when I need pocketability, and sometimes I use a 20D for family snaps just because the files size is smaller, or as a beater camera. But most of the time I'll choose the 5D.

When I shot film I had cameras that I thought were better for one task over another, but DSLRs are jack-of-all-trade cameras. Occasionally I read folks griping about all the extra features they don't need. That's the point of the modern, small format SLR: the manufacturers try to make it to suit as many photographers in one package as possible.

9. uplander

uplander TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    One of the prints was of this Labrador and the only place you could see pixelation was in the eyes

[​IMG]

10. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm very excited to now have cameras that can be dedicated to certain tasks– I did have a 20D and 1Dm2n, with the addition of the 5Dm2 I dedicate the 1D to sports/rugged applications and the 5D to studio and low light work.

11. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One day I am going to have something huge printed out just becuase... lol.

Personally, I feel that if you can see pixelation from 2 inches away, you should be able to see it from 4 feet away too. Also, the acceptable amount of pixelation is different for different people.

12. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was about to write that for me 20"x30" is pushing the limits from my 20D ( 8mp APS ). Then I went and got a 20"x30" test print I still had laying around. Admittedly it's from ISO 100 and shot on a tripod, but I'm not seeing anything I would call pixels, noise, grain, or artifacts with my eyeball pressed right up against it. It's clean and sharp. Now I'm thinking this might be able to go even bigger.

I noticed Mpix's max size recently went up to 24"x36". :) $50 a pop :( It always takes me a test print or 2 to get it nailed down for prints bigger than 16"x24".