Different lit butterflies

Wow... I wish I knew how you get so close to the butteflies and take such quality pictures

Fantastic lowkey work Dan! :)
I must say that whilst I am a fan of lowkey in general some of them are a little overdark I feel, though with ones like 7 I really do like the selective lighting :)

Out of interest how hard was this to achive? Did you hold the flash with one hand and the camera with another, use a tripon on one or the other (or both) or did you use some nifty flash bracket to hold the flash in the different positions?

Very well done. They're all winners, but my favs are 5 and 8.

A macro lens is high on my priority list.
Thanks :) Im really happy with my macro lens. Shame summer has ended, but i can always go to the zoo and find some bugs there :)
I managed to sneak up on a butterfly today with my macro lens, but these put me to shame!

We've all seen butterfly shots, but these definitely feel unique and original. For me, the moody shadows and patterns created by the lighting (especially #7 and $9, wow!) really make these stand out.
These were shot in a Butterfly garden, butterflies dont seem to be so skittish there. Really helps when you are shooting macro :)
Thanks for the reply
They're all wonderful!
Wow - they wings in #5 are clear in parts - I never new there were ones like that! I also like the colour in #8.
Thanks. And i never knew there were butterflies like that until i started visiting the garden. Pretty cool bugs if you ask me :)
Great shots! I love #2 and #5.
Cheers
Excellent captures:thumbup:
Awsome colours/details and lighting.
Thank you :)
Wow... I wish I knew how you get so close to the butteflies and take such quality pictures
Just have some patience and a steady hand.........and some butterflies that are kinda used to humans with a gigantic camera in their hands :mrgreen:
These are amazing! I love #4, #5, #9, but really all of them!
Fantastic lowkey work Dan! :)
I must say that whilst I am a fan of lowkey in general some of them are a little overdark I feel, though with ones like 7 I really do like the selective lighting :)

Out of interest how hard was this to achive? Did you hold the flash with one hand and the camera with another, use a tripon on one or the other (or both) or did you use some nifty flash bracket to hold the flash in the different positions?
The overdark may have something to do with my monitor. I havent calibrated it and so it may be off. It looks good on my screen though.
And i shot these with my flash in 1 hand and my camera in the other. Gave me more freedom to play with the different positions of the flash. I probably looked like an idiot when shooting some of these, but i dont care. Its all about the photograph :mrgreen: It wasnt really hard, i just had to keep in mind too keep the flash at the right distance for whatever lighting i wanted. I moved the flash closer or further away to get more or less light in the pic, didnt want to push all kinds of buttons all of the time.
Hopes this cleared it up a bit and thanks for the reply :D

onehanded handheld? darn now that is impressive - you have steady hands (especaily for a shot like the first!). I can certainly understand the extra freedom of movement, but didn't one hand get rather strained working macro alone?

Nope, it didnt bother me at all. Only thing is, that its so bloody humid and warm in those greenhouses :mrgreen: I think the thing is that you have to relax your body. If you keep your muscles flexed all the time, you start to shake. So you have to relax as much as possible.

Even more impressive one-hand-held!! Heck, I shake so much I have trouble with two.

The more I look at those shots, the more I like them! Really good stuff.

Most reactions

Back