DIFFERENT question on weddings

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Sharp Shooter, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Sharp Shooter

Sharp Shooter TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys, I personally have no interest in shooting a wedding any time soon (within the next few years) but I am curious. With the 372 posts on weddings this past week in this thread alone, everyone suggests to shadow a pro. My question is, how many pros are actually willing (and happy) to let someone do this? Is it ok for the pro to just bring a noob along to someone else wedding?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. Goontz

Goontz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Seriously? :roll:

3. HonCBRf4i

HonCBRf4i TPF Noob!

Rules, I never knew there were any rules on sleeping with the brides maids, I always try to sleep with them all...As for the professional letting you TAg along, Some will and some will not.

4. willli

willli TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You are kidding Right ?

5. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why don't you ask that question on a Wedding Forum?? In case you forgot this is all about Photography. Thanks.

6. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, he DID say DIFFERENT question....

7. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pros will let you tag along, but you probably wont be shooting much the first few times you go with them. You will be more of an assistant, setting up shots, taking directions from the pro, making sure the dress is nice, moving a light stand.

You will probably have a few opportunities to shoot on your own, and you will be considered a second shoot (I have seen up to 3 at weddings). You give these images to the pro, he may or may not use them for the bride.

Once you gain the "trust" of the pro and he sees that you are competent and serious, he may start to ask you to take more shots. ie - hey, you go to the detail shots in the reception while I finish up here.

Then, if he likes what you are doing and trusts you even more, he may ask you to shoot weddings under his name on your own when he gets double booked. At which point, you can then bring on an assistant to help you out, and the process goes on.

But yeah, it all starts with finding a pro willing to take you on. But you have to understand you will be under the pro, working FOR them for NO pay...well, your compensation will be knowledge

8. Sharp Shooter

Sharp Shooter TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, I think.:lol:

My post was a serious question followed up by some slight humor. Apparently my joke was so vulgar it made people completely forget about my real question.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  9. bigtwinky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dont get this statement. Often times shooting under a pro is referenced on this site. Why all of a sudden must the OP head to a different forum to ask a question?

Is wedding photography not about photography? Is apprenticeship / mentoring not a way of learning photography, often better than coming to say, I dont know, a forum like this, and asking the same questions over and over again, to the point of annoying other members?

:meh:

10. bigtwinky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Like with all internet forums, you need to weed through the posts that you dont really want to find the ones that will be helpful.

I think the reaction to your joke was more due to other threads containing crude statements when commenting on pictures, so people get easily jaded and tend to react negatively to anything similar

11. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's revealing!... :lol:

That should get you lots of credentials with lots of wedding pros! Good luck buddy, you'll need it. Badly!...

12. Sharp Shooter

Sharp Shooter TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Twinky, PM sent.

Mitica, Read my first post again and see if I have any interest in shooting a wedding any time soon.

Edit* Deleted some stuff since there are a few helpful people on here. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.