Differential focus - Rustic onions

milamber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Diffential focus occurs when the picture contains blurred objects both in front and behind the subject. It's a way of emphasizing an important element in the photo. This photo illustrates the use of differential focus and it is sepia toned to create a rustic mood/look, highlighting a common ingredient in cooking that could be found on the kitchen tables of country cottages. The lighting i wanted to create was one of a soft diffused window light nature, experimented with tying a rubberband and tissue paper/s combo on my flash, shot off camera from the side with white card to fill in shadow areas.

Onionsrowsepia.jpg

The color version eliminates the "rustic" mood/atmosphere and shows the effect of color vs monochrome/sepia toned pictures. The background oof onions creates a nice punchy backdrop of colors. I don't know why i'm sorely tempted to add a warm-up filter to this picture, recreating the rustic mood but in color. Nevertheless, the yellow/brown of the background is in nice juxaposition to the cooler purple of the foreground so i resist the warm-up filter.

onionrowsmall.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back