Difficult client wants all unedited photos... please help

J.May

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I'm having trouble with a difficult client and really could use some advice. Sorry this post is so long!

I took family photos for someone 2 weeks ago. 7 adults and a toddler. I presented her with 80 high resolution digital images and her and the family loved them. However, she messaged me later that day asking if she could get copies of all of the photos, even the untouched ones. I kindly explained that I do not give out unedited photos because my finished product is a reflection of my work and my name. I pick the best photos and edit those and that is what she has received. She understood that but said they were just hoping for more group shots because they weren't thrilled with the ones they received. I suggested that in that case, I will post the unedited group shots on an online album where she can view them and let me know which ones she would like me to edit. I posted 47 group shots and she replied saying they love them all and would like them all touched up.
I responded that she is welcome to pick her top 10 and I will edit those for her, but any more will be an extra charge. That's when things went really downhill!

She said, "We would like to see all the unedited photos you took during our shoot so we can comb through those to see if we find those suitable for our purposes. This way we can determine what shots we further want to develop. We would like to have a copy of all prints for our album, edited or not, taken during our photoshoot."

I replied, "Here is what I can offer you. I can meet you and you can have a viewing of all photos taken during your shoot. During the viewing you can chose which additional photos you would like.
As you've already received 80 finished photos which were included in your shoot, additional photos will be $3 each for high resolution digital copies. The viewing itself will be $100.
Just to clarify again, you are welcome to see the unedited versions but I do not give these out as I only want my finished product reflecting my work. You absolutely can choose as many as you like to be edited. As previously promised, I will gladly throw in the 10 more photos at no extra charge."

She said, "I am not happy with this at all. On your website you say you offer ALL photos taken. We would like al of them. Unedited. We found lots of pics we love that you took. We want the rest.
We don't want them touched up but I think we deserve to have all pictures you took. It does not reflect your work giving us the photos. You with holding the pictures isn't honouring your commitment to what you put on your website.
I hope that you will reconsider and honour your website at the time we booked to have our photos taken. I did screen shot your website and your website advertised copies of all images enhanced high resolution digital copies of all images watermark free for you to display as you like. I noticed you have altered your website this evening to define the number of photos offered. We are only asking for what we paid for based on what you advertised at the time. If you choose not to honour your advertised commitment, we will have a discussion to make on our end."

Granted, on my website it very unfortunately said "includes your photo session and enhanced high resolution digital copies of all images, watermark free."

It seems common sense that this does not mean several hundred photos including those of people picking their ears. However, I have no idea how to respond or where to go from here. My saving grace is that it did say "enhanced images" so I am not obliged to give her the unedited versions. But I am still left with 400 raw files from the shoot. Please help.

Not sure about this... why did you ever put that on your website? Live and learn on that I guess. I hate to say it but it sounds like you're obligated to provide 'all' the photos, although I don't know how a client would know exactly how many you took to know if 'all' of them were being provided. I don't know why you took so many of one family portrait session but it seems like the client realized you took way more than you provided.

Maybe ask about what exactly she's looking for, and I guess decide whether to give her edited or unedited photos, then try to give her more photos that will be what she's looking for (whatever that may be). I don't get what anyone would do with 47 photos of the same group of people, much less still want more, but maybe try to find out specifically what she's looking for.

Last time someone was pushy to me I provided one more photo in which they gave a really bad facial expression and adjusted the colors opposite what they should be. And I repeated I only provide the quality photos. I didn't get an argument after that.

If you state on your website you give all then that is your product. How in the world did you take 47 group shots? Is this a keep the shutter button down on continuous or something?

The way you worded it here you are obligated to enhance and provide copies of all images from the shoot.
Even if they don't know how many that is, you do. So you need to decide how much your word is worth to you.
Personally, I would just enhance all images from this shoot and give them to them. I would do groups of images in batch process for things like color correction and such as needed. I'd also immediately change the wording to something like up to x number of enhanced images you select will be provided...

Your other option is to explain the situation and your mistake in word selection and see how she takes it. Maybe let her look through all the unretouched photos and select a couple to replace a couple she didn't like as much. Or offer to reshoot a couple poses they are looking for.

I'd also refine my shooting style to only click the shutter when the shot is ready to take, not when someone is picking their ear. Granted you can't always anticipate a blink, but by communicating when the shot is going to happen people can control those blinks better.

Last edited:
Reasonable person test IMO means only all images that you decide to keep as the photographer to provide to the client.

Why do the photos ( non keepers) even exist if you wont give them? They, non keepers ( nose picking, blinkies, duplicate poses etc), should be deleted by now.

Just give the photos and save face at this point , probably appologize too. Enhance how you see fit, its your own model so dont fight with the customer, you will never ever win.

Try to learn something each session without having to piss of the customer and you'll have much better "luck" with customers in the future.

1. This reinforces my decision to never become a professional photographer.

2. You should be at least as resolute as your contract, maybe even more so.

IMO the wording on your website obligates you to supply all the photos. I suspect the client knew this was not intended, which is why they kept a screen shot of your website.

Recheck your website for other ambiguous phases that might remain then mark it down to experience.

Granted, on my website it very unfortunately said "includes your photo session and enhanced high resolution digital copies of all images, watermark free."
You give her all the photos - and you have to "enhance" all of them too.
At no additional charge.
The client isn't being difficult.

Own your mistakes. Learn from them. Don't repeat them.

I agree with AP's final comment regarding "refining your shooting style".

It seems common sense that this does not mean several hundred photos including those of people picking their ears.

I actually think there is nothing wrong with your client, she is just asking for what you have so generously offered on your website. The way you have put it means that you promise to keep ALL images taken during the session, enhance it and provide to the customer. That means you can not even delete any images taken during the session (because by doing so you will not be unable to provide "digital copies of all images").
I think you need to carefully check what you have put on your website and your contracts or even better consult a professional.
Your "common sense" approach does not work with contractual obligations. On the part of your client the "common sense" would be to get as many photos for her/his money as possible. And in your case, if the contract does not state otherwise, it means - all of it. If you have a contract, signed by the customer, that stipulates a particular number of images, then it is a completely different situation.

Thanks guys. Definitely some really hard lessons have been learned! And yes, I often wonder how the heck I ended up with so many photos. I'm still trigger happy and it's a learning process, that's for sure. I immediately reworded my website to say X number of photos.

Guess I'll get editing.... thank you again.

Tell them you deleted the other files after you delivered the final edited ones

I'd never lie to a client or anyone else for that matter. It just isn't worth it. Your word as a man (human) is really all you have and your dignity is worth a lot more than anything else you will ever have. We have enough liars, we call them lawyers politicians and other such 'professionals'. Lol

I'd never lie to a client or anyone else for that matter. It just isn't worth it. Your word as a man (human) is really all you have and your dignity is worth a lot more than anything else you will ever have. We have enough liars, we call them lawyers politicians and other such 'professionals'. Lol

If there's anything I've learned from watching House.....its everyone lies.

If there's anything I've learned from watching House.....its everyone lies.
That's fiction. I don't mind lies that help othet people in life or keep from hurting their feelings. I dont think its evil to say good job when someone tries hard but did a crappy job. I hate deceit used to cheat others, to hide mistakes and for personal gain at the expense of others.
Some people don't get that, but it's important to me, my family and something my kids have to learn too.
If you dislike liars then don't be one.

Most reactions

Back