diffuser/bounce card questions

Deadeye008

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hamblinphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I suggest that you first learn to use your flash without any 'trinkets'.

I suggest that you first learn to use your flash without any 'trinkets'.

I plan on fully learning how to use my flash when it gets here. I have just seen some write-ups about how much better pictures can turn out if you use a bounce card or diffuser and thought I would get some answers from those who have used them. Thanks

I plan on fully learning how to use my flash when it gets here. I have just seen some write-ups about how much better pictures can turn out if you use a bounce card or diffuser and thought I would get some answers from those who have used them. Thanks

Pictures are much better when the light source is directional and larger. All that is needed for this is a large wall or ceiling, and this is free. Save your money. This why you bought a flash with a tilt and swivel "bounce" head.

Matt is right.

Flash diffusers and bounce accesories can serve a purpose and help to make our photos better...but I don't think there is any one that is best for all situations and many of them are good for some things and terrible for others.

As mentioned, a card and an elastic band can do the job that most accesories try to do.

A diffuser is used outdoors when you direct the flash right at your subject. By using a diffuser you make the light look softer, especially on people. (They might be used other ways too but this is the only way that I use mine)

Thanks all, for the information. I can't wait to get my new flash and play around with it. I've been using a Bower flash for the last few months and it is ok but not very consistent. I'm looking forward to what this new one will do. Thanks again.

One thing you should note is that no two are alike. The SB-800 includes a small one. But I added a strip of velcro and cut up 2 differently sized and shaped flash cards. Each of the 3 gives a different effect. Some people say that the Omnisphere is better than the Gary Phong diffuser I say that is a load of rubbish they are different just like an umbrella is different from a softbox, or a silver umbrella is different from a white one.

I suggest you play around with bits of paper and some elastic. Make papers which let light bounce to the roof, make ones which don't and instead just create a bigger light source. Use them backwards, play compare and then go out and start actually spending money once you find out how the subtleties change. Only then will you get good results out of them.

A diffuser is used outdoors when you direct the flash right at your subject. By using a diffuser you make the light look softer, especially on people. (They might be used other ways too but this is the only way that I use mine)
It is true that a diffuser will soften the light...if it enlarges the light source...which many of these accesories don't do....especially outdoors (nothing to bounce off of).
I have found that when shooting outdoors, you need all the flash power you can get...and most all of these accesories actually rob power...so it's counter productive to use them outdoors. Also, typically when shooting outdoors, the flash is for fill only, so it's not as important that it be 'soft' light.

When shooting indoors and using the flash as the main light, on the other hand...softer light makes much more of a difference. Indoors, this can often be accomplished by bouncing the light, which is what most accesories help with.

That second diffuser listed always reminds me of those deli containers I by potato salad in. Thats pretty much all that it is actually.;)

Hey Deadeye008, Do you have a $5 bill? And maybe an hour?

Try this, the foam one- at the bottom...
http://super.nova.org/DPR/DIY01/

Thanks for the link! I just went and picked some stuff up at WallyWorld to make me one. Total came to $3.88 and that was because I had to spend $2.80 on a huge package of velcro because they didn't have any smaller packages. Thanks again!:mrgreen:

I've made one of those, works great. Good luck.

Thanks for the link! I just went and picked some stuff up at WallyWorld to make me one. Total came to $3.88 and that was because I had to spend $2.80 on a huge package of velcro because they didn't have any smaller packages. Thanks again!:mrgreen:

My pleasure! Thank you Mr. Gardner and MikeM!!

Most reactions

Back