diffusers

Rhys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These days, do people actually use diffusers or do people just defocus/blur images in photoshop?

I notice soft focus lenses are still on sale so I guess they might have more strengths than photoshop although as I have never owned one, I can't tell whether they're good or not.

so I guess they might have more strengths

Well I think of it this way. Photoshop you can choose every aspect of the effect, with the soft focus filter you are limited to a few key settings.

I would personally think photoshop has the advantages if the effect is done properly. That said there's plenty of times when it is not, and it just ruins a photo enough that you can say yeah a B+W soft focus filter would have done that much better.

I use Diffusers. I have one on me about 99% of the time. I think it's all on the photographers style of shooting whether they use them or not. The majority of my best shots always seem to be in low light situations. even outdoors on a sunny day you might see a great shot that just happens to be in the shadow of a tree or building. I use a dome diffuser which seems to give me a wider range of lighting options. The majority of people who have tried my diffuser buy one for them selfs. Then you have people who will tell you they are a complete waist of time and money. Like I said it's all on the persons own opinion. Here is the video that made me want to try one.theres plenty more on that page also
[video=youtube;lG7WPtR-JOo]http://youtube.com/watch?v=lG7WPtR-JOo"]LINK[/video]

I think that there are 2-3 topics floating in this post and the base question is not clear. Using soft lenses is one, diffussion is another and types of flash diffusers is the 3rd and post processing is a fourth.

First, to talk to the OP, diffusers do not blur. They control light. Depth of field is what blurs backgrounds.

Now, what exactly were you looking for info about?

When you said diffusers, I thought you meant flash diffusers!

The person that decided to ask about the funeral photos gave me an idea that a funeral home photo might look better with a diffuser or a soft-focus lens.

Having said that, I just remembered the old masters method of producing softer images - I guess I'll have to raid my wife's panty-hose drawer now :p

The pantyhose fetish aside, I still have no idea what you are talking about. A diffuser will NOT blur a pcture, a diffuser cuts down light and is traditionally placed over the flash.

Are you talking about placing pantyhose over the lens or the flash?

If a purposely blurred pic is what you want, focus on your subject, place camea into manual focus mode and touch the focus ring a touch to get it out of focus slightly. Of course there is always gaussian blur in PS.

Most reactions

Back