Diffusion material for softbox

Buy yourself a cheap, white styrofoam ice chest. Use a steak knife to cut a rectangular cut-out in the bottom of it, so the flash will press-fit into the opening. Use wax paper as the diffusion material for the front, and hold it on with tape or push pins.

LIFOAM 30-Quart Styrofoam Cooler - Walmart.com

Super lightweight. You can line the inside with aluminum foil, or not.

Buy yourself a cheap, white styrofoam ice chest. Use a steak knife to cut a rectangular cut-out in the bottom of it, so the flash will press-fit into the opening. Use wax paper as the diffusion material for the front, and hold it on with tape or push pins.

you can keep your beer in it too ...

I only use the finest silks from the orient for my diffusion panels.

Brilliant! Might snag one of these on my way home this evening!

Waxed paper sounds like a good idea, Ill also try the t shirt, Ill make so I can interchange the diffusion material and try a few things out.

This is my plan, I want to make this out of stuff I have laying around the house. I have some thin bendable wire ( if I can find it ) and some thin cardboard to make the skeleton of this thing and than I plan to cover it with aluminum foil.. the plan is for this thing to be extremely light weight.

first I make a frame for the diffusion material to stretch over. and than I make a cardboard square that does not close all the way to slip over the speed light and than I can put a strap around it to hold it on.. than I use 4 thin strips of cardboard and 4 pieces of thin wire to attach the frame to the part that holds the speed light and than I wrap it in foil.

here are my awesome blueprints I just drew up so you guys can see what I am talking about. I swear I am a engineering genius, if anyone wants to buy a copy of my awesome design, only 3 easy payments of 999.95

this is something I might just throw away if it does not work well. I am probably going to make it 15x15. this will be something fun to play with until I decide what I am going to buy to diffuse my speed lights. if this works out well than awesome, if not ill throw her in the trash. should take about 10-15 minutes to make one of these.

here is the basic design
Untitled.png

Last edited:
I recently had the realization that those box spring skirts that come with Bed in Bag combo deals, usually have tons of material I think would be perfect for making a softbox out of. I of course realized this after I through out the couple I had.

I am looking at some of the links you guys are posting and some of those look pretty nice, since the flash on my camera is triggering the speed lights I probably need my speed light to be outside of the softbox and the lights probably need to be facing the camera

those PBL umbrellas look great but I am not sure how that would work out, the umbrella would probably block it from seeing the camera flash...also that little soft box from ebay looks pretty nice for a small soft box, I might actually pick up two of those since there what 11 bucks each.

I want to make my own though,

well I think I am gonna scrap the home made soft box, I started cutting the cardboard and its just got rigid enough, sure I could use thicker cardboard but than its not going to be super light weight.

I did order a couple of these PBL umbrella softboxes got a set of two for around 30 bucks, a few people have said they were good and the reviews are also good. I just hope they are not to big for my room but I am sure I can figure something out if they are.. I saw quite a few people saying they are using those with speed lights so they should work.

Amazon.com : PBL Photo Studio 40 inch Reflective Umbrella Softboxes Set of Two Steve Kaeser Photographic Lighting and Accessories : Umbrella Photography : Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
well I think I am gonna scrap the home made soft box, I started cutting the cardboard and its just got rigid enough, sure I could use thicker cardboard but than its not going to be super light weight.

I did order a couple of these PBL umbrella softboxes got a set of two for around 30 bucks, a few people have said they were good and the reviews are also good. I just hope they are not to big for my room but I am sure I can figure something out if they are.. I saw quite a few people saying they are using those with speed lights so they should work.

Amazon.com : PBL Photo Studio 40 inch Reflective Umbrella Softboxes Set of Two Steve Kaeser Photographic Lighting and Accessories : Umbrella Photography : Camera & Photo

Yeah, mine just came in and they seem nice enough. Granted, I've never seen or touched a REALLY NICE diffusion umbrella or softbox...but whatever. I also picked up a styrofoam cooler and some wax paper to build a "Derrell-box." Can't wait to get it ready to go!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice, I might still try and make mine one of these weekends when I have nothing to do, I was thinking If I can find that wire I had I might be able to add a few pieces to make it work a little better.

After I started to cut my cardboard into strips I though this thing probably wont hold its own weight if I do end up using a old t shirt or something like that for the diffusion material. The cardboard felt much stronger before I cut it into strips.

Allot of people seem to use value softboxes and umbrellas and they seem to work just fine. I watched a few videos from people using those 50 dollar constant lighting kits and they get nice photos with those.

It's easier to cut four triangles of cardboard, and assemble them into a four sided pyramid. Think about that. Then chop the top off the pyramid by clipping the tips of the triangles, to make a hole for the speedlight.

Glue tinfoil to the inside of the cardboard.

Tape the truncated pyramid together.

Glue on wood scraps as needed for structural supports.

Back in the 1980's MANY softboxes were made of Fome-Cor brand (Registered Trademark, Fome-Cor, no "a" in it!) board material. It is much lighter than cardboard, and much more rigid!!!! If you search on-line you can find blueprints for Fome-Cor softboxes, which I have personally seen up to 3x4 feet. As far as I know, today's common "rod and speedring" designed, factory-made, affordable fabric-based softboxes sprang up in the early 1980's, but before that time, light banks were either huge and VERY heavy wooden or metal-based boxes, often held up on massive floor mount stands...and so the common, affordable option was to go home-made using Fome-Cor boards and tape!

jag's photo blog: DIY Softbox Part 1.

FOME-COR® BOARD - 3A Composites Graphic Display

here is an article showing 24 different DIY softbox designs!
How To Build 24 DIY Softboxes - DIY Photography

Last edited:
that fome-cor board looks like a great way t go, figuring out what dimensions to cut the tangles so they fit together seems like the hard part here.

It doesn't matter. Make them all the same and you'll get something. They'll fit into a pyramid off some shape.

The second one will be better :)

Most reactions

Back