Dig out the Paul Simon records...

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by ksmattfish, Sep 29, 2008.

1. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is the third article I've seen in 3 weeks that speculates the end of Kodachrome in the very near future. I don't know if someone actually knows something, or if it's just internet rumor. People seem to think that there will be no more production runs of K-14 at Kodak, and when what's on the market runs out that will be it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/biztech/09/22/kodakchrome.fading.ap/index.html

2. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    It has such a small customer base just does not make good business sense to keep making in an ever-shrinking film market. With only one lab the turn around time is just to long for most people in the world. No working pro or P&Ser can wait that long.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  3. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    I say yes. The end's near, not that I'm happy about it.

4. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Could just be Kodak trying to boost sales... Everybody quick stock up before it's gone!!!!!

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In recent past, their "style" seems to have been to deny rumors of anything's demise until the cease-production date is official, and then they make their regretful announcements. ;)

But who knows for sure when it comes to Kodak? I've seen these articles as well, and heard the rumors...and then, all of a sudden they are promoting this new film. Totally different from Kodachrome, of course (color negative film), but it's a head-scratcher to see them rolling out any new film. It looks pretty sweet, too, I must admit!

The passing of Kodachrome would be met with the same wails of regret and nostaligia as Polaroid instant films. Here's hoping it's still a long ways off.

6. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    "Every time I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand (1890-1976)

Kodachrome has had a long run. When I worked in a full service (C41, E6, and BW, all formats) lab/camera store in the 90s I was told several times by different Kodak reps that Kodak would have already discontinued Kodachrome if it weren't for the bad PR they were afraid of. When Kodak stopped offering K-14 processing it was the beginning of the end. The lab I worked at would take Kodachrome in, and mail it out for processing, but the quality and service became so erratic we stopped dealing with Kodachrome at all.