Dig SLR...need advice before I buy

Texas_Diver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi...I just bought a digital point and shoot (Kodak DX7630) and I love it. Before this, I only shot with a Minolta SLR, which I loved with all of its bell and whistle add-ons.

Now I am considering a dig SLR camera. I want to spend under $1000 and get a 6 megapix over higher resolution camera.

Any recommendations?

:wink:

You can find a few good ones by searching. TRy B&H and Adorama. Put in you criteria and you'll get some nice returns. Konica just released the 5D, but for about 200 more you can get the 7D. Why not get the body and keep the glass you have.

dpreview.com

kelox said:
You can find a few good ones by searching. TRy B&H and Adorama. Put in you criteria and you'll get some nice returns. Konica just released the 5D, but for about 200 more you can get the 7D. Why not get the body and keep the glass you have.

How does Minolta compare to other cameras? A woman at a local camera shop told me that Minolta has lost its edge after its meger with Konica.

AlmightyWa said:
Was she trying to sell you something more expensive at the time?

Actually no. The shop sells Minoltas and the Minolta 7D is more expensive than the other camera that I was looking at. (Canon EOS Dig Rebel XT)

I use my father's fuji S2 once in a while as it is based on a Nikon body and is compatible with all of my Nikon lenses back to 1977. The backwards compatiblilty feature is very appealing to me. This means If I were to plunge into digital, any dlsr that uses the nikon f mount (Nikon, Fuji, Sigma to name a few) can work with my 35mm lens collection. With lenses that old, all of the auto features of the camera will not work to varying degrees. I mostly shoot manual or aperature priority so it's not so much a problem for me. If the use of certain specialty lenses are not to much of a concern, then both Nikon and Canon make very good products. I have both so I will not try to sway you to one over the other. I will only say that I have not been disappointed by either.

i would stick with the rebel xt or the nikon d70s, because both brands have a nice wide variety of lenses (unless you want to continue shooting minolta).

thebeginning said:
i would stick with the rebel xt or the nikon d70s, because both brands have a nice wide variety of lenses (unless you want to continue shooting minolta).

That was my question from the original post, remember?
:wink:

For entry level DSLRs, the Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D70s are two of the best. Nikon has a new D50, which has less features but very good AF and image quality (for less money). Pentax has the *ist cameras.

If you have Minolta glass, it may be best to get a compatible camera though.

Most reactions

Back