Digital Advice

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Nikon Fan, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

So it looks like I'm getting ready to preorder the 350d from Amazon, but I have questions regarding everything else I am going to get.
    I asked earlier about memory cards and was told either SanDisk or Lexar. I'll probably buy a new card off ebay b/c they're cheapest there, but is there anything else I should know....I was thinking 1gb would be plenty of space for me. But what about speed, I've read a small amount about the cards, but not much. Also do you all own the card readers, and what are you thoughts on them? Do I really need one???

Lens questions: Although I've been dying to get some sort of telephoto lens for a while now, I might put it on hold and get a 50mm 1.8, so is there anything else to know before I buy this lens??? Since I'm spending more than originally intended on the camera (was going to get the rebel) I don't have as much to spend on lenses. I already have the kit lens that came with my Elan 7ne (28-105 4-5.6) and it gets the job done. I'll probably purchase the lens I get from ebay as well, but will make sure its' new.

I think that's all my questions for now, but as I've been warning you all, I'm gonna go question crazy on ya ;)

2. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

Oh and to help you all better answer my lens question...I love to take pics of everything, but mostly I do portrait shots, and some landscapes. I'm wanting to do a lot more macro work though, and would also like to do some sports photography as well (just for fun). So is the 50 the right choice, b/c I've had my eye on a 100-300 for a while now :)

3. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wouldn't go buying things new from ebay, but that's just me. When I buy expensive camera equipment, I get it from a reputable dealer, and get a warranty if I can. Buy your 50mm from Adorama or B&H. The few dollars you "might" save on Ebay aren't worth the hassle of dealing with some company you don't know if you can trust. Keh.com is a good place to look for used stuff. You might get a deal on a used 50mm if you really want to seave. It's a $70 lens anyway, brand new.

For memory, I always buy from Newegg.com, Pcmall.com, or Tigerdirect.com. You won't find cheaper prices. As for speed, it's not super crucial with that camera I don't think. Look for what is on sale, or what has a rebate with it. You should be able to get a 1 gig CF card for aroud $60-80.

Buy an extra battery. You won't regret it. If you want to do macro, pick up a set of extension tubes and buy that 50mm, and you'll have a great macro setup.

http://www.adorama.com/MCAETEOS.html?searchinfo=pro optic&item_no=1

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

Thanks Matt! My tiny college budget always trys to get the best of me. But I do want to not have to worry about what I'm buying, and I didn't realize they were only 75 bucks, so that's not bad at all. I think I'll just get the body only, and get that lens. I tried clicking on the link you posted, but it didn't work. Could you explain to me what exactly extension tubes are, how to use them...I've heard people talk about them, but never seen them before. Thanks for all the info, and the links!!! I'll most likely go with one of those places rather than ebay...just have to wait for the rest of my college refund checks :)

5. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry about the link. Extension tubes allow you to focus closer. Imagine a lens that has no glass in it. It just connects to the lens mount, transfers the electronics so you can meter and autofocus, and basically puts the rear element of the lens further from the film plane or digital sensor.

By being able to focus at a closer distance, you effectively magnify the image. All of my cd macro shots were done with extension tubes and the 50mm f/1.8. A total price of under $200.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

Thanks Matt :) I tried the link again, and this time it worked!!! I may have to hold on the extension tubes for an extra month or so, but it's definitely something I want..and would say need even :)

When you transfer your pics from camera to computer, do you use a card reader that plugs into a USB port or do you transfer through a cable that runs from camera to computer??? I would guess that using a reader would be less wear and tear on the camera, but again I really have no clue what I'm doing. I did a lot of video editing in high school though, and found that when we used the cameras rather than devides that were made for editing purposes, the cameras wore down much more quickly. Figured it might be the same for this but wasn't sure. The prices on readers seem reasonable, but again I really have no clue :) Sorry for so many questions!!!

7. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, definitely get a card reader. I forgot to mention that. You can get a cheap one for under $10. Make sure you get a USB 2.0 or Firewire. If your computer doesn't have USB 2.0 or firewire, you can buy a pci card for a few dollars to give you that functionality. You will want the faster speed for transferring pictures, and this way you can turn the camera off and save batteries.

Look for card readers and pci cards at the those same sites I listed above.

8. Nytmair

Nytmair TPF Noob!

why would you need a card reader... isn't there just a USB outlet from the camera to the computer to upload that way? I don't see why a card reader is needed.

Also, about the 350D lenses... I'm still debating on whether to get the kit lens or not... It would make a decent all around lens to start out with, but also the quality won't be the greatest..... hmmmmmmm

9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Word is the kit lens is not that great but for $100 (with the Camera) what have you got to lose?

Why a card reader? It's faster and it doesn't tie up the camera. Also, do you want to be using up the camera's batteries for uploading the cards or for more shooting?

10. Nytmair

Nytmair TPF Noob!

good point... i've just always uploading through the camera, so I'm used to it..

and also I agree about the kit lens... I was looking through some shots taken with it on the 300D on pbase.com and it doesn't look as bad as I thought it was... So i'll probably just pay the $100 and get it :)

11. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A card reader is always the way to go. You never have to plug or unplug anything. The reader stays plugged into your usb, and you just stick the card in it. It shows up as a removeable drive in XP, and it will even open a window showing the contents of the folder automatically if you desire. Then you just drag and drop onto your hardrive. What could be better? All the while your camera is either off, or you've stuck another card in it and are shooting again.

The Digital Rebel only has USB 1.0, and 1.0 is 12mbs, while 2.0 is 480mbs. It takes a VERY long time to download 1 gig worth of raw files over a usb 1.0 connection. With 2.0, it's a minute or two.

12. Nytmair

Nytmair TPF Noob!

thanks for the info Matt... i know the 350D has USB 2.0, so that's a good thing