Digital and/or Film

Digital and/or Film

• Total voters
Kodak frequently discontinuing emulsions, Kodachrome being the latest victim, I doubt there will be many coming out parties in the future, Ektar 100 notwithstanding.

I did not know they discontinued Kodachrome. Sad. There is still enough in the warehouses to last a few years in that case, but few years is not the same as many years. Sad.

They'd have to temp me with a two stop improvement. I would not trade a 6 Megapixel for a 12. I'd wait for a 24 at least.

Good point. You're a smart buyer. Since we talk about digital as well, do you know what the exposure latitude is for a digital sensor? Or does that depend on the brand?

You're right. Freestyle still has the FM10 and maybe the F6 in their catalog.

I am quite satisfied with my FM10 for now, at this point I don't care about a better film SLR (or more automatic for that matter, FM10 is not bad, just all manual), but I love the manual - gives me total control (and responsibility) for my shots. My plan of attack is getting a medium format system and a dig. SLR (semi-pro), I'll be happy with those for at least the next 5 years.

Kodak frequently discontinuing emulsions, Kodachrome being the latest victim, I doubt there will be many coming out parties in the future, Ektar 100 notwithstanding.

I did not know they discontinued Kodachrome. Sad.
Surprised you missed it. It's the year's biggest news in photography.

There is still enough in the warehouses to last a few years in that case, but few years is not the same as many years. Sad.
I can't find any at all except on eBay where they want outrageous prices. It appears that Dwayne's Photo in Parson's, Kansas is the only lab on the entire planet that is still processing it. Developing it is a 14 step process that I've never heard of anyone doing in their own darkroom. In any event Kodak has already discontinued it and will discontinue the chemistry next year. Dwayne's has announced that they will process the last batch on 31 December 2010.

Been shooting for 40 years, seems like I was one of the last to come into the Digital Age, and I came kicking and screaming.

I used so much Tri X in my time that I may have been what caused them to run low and develop digital technology...lol

Absolutely loved to shoot b/w available light, using filters creatively, then doing tricks in darkroom. Also shot a lot of slide film over the years. Never liked the costs of C-41 processing much, so I avoided it unless I was getting paid (like for motorsports, which I did a lot of, and was published more than once).

Kinda miss using my old Mat-124 and doing studio work.

But now that I am into digital, I won't ever go back. I don't even like the PP much, prefer to take shots I can just load to the PC and print.

Surprised you missed it. It's the year's biggest news in photography.

I was not following photo news this year much, just started getting into photography seriously in the recent months. I'm a noob here :)

I can't find any at all except on eBay where they want outrageous prices. It appears that Dwayne's Photo in Parson's, Kansas is the only lab on the entire planet that is still processing it. Developing it is a 14 step process that I've never heard of anyone doing in their own darkroom. In any event Kodak has already discontinued it and will discontinue the chemistry next year. Dwayne's has announced that they will process the last batch on 31 December 2010.

I was speaking about all pro film in general, should have been more clear on that. I read about 2 years back that Fuji discontinued their Velvia 50, but I can still find it on Freestylephoto.

But now that I am into digital, I won't ever go back. I don't even like the PP much, prefer to take shots I can just load to the PC and print.

Can you please elaborate a bit more on some of the main reasons you jumped over to all digital?

What are the main differences (from your experience) between film and digital in terms of exposure, color, and dynamic range?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back