Digital cam memory questions

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Corry, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok...I don't have my Digital Rebel YET..But, I'm planning for when I do have it. I'm wondering something here...for the Joshua Tree Trip that many of us are going on in March, I won't have access to a computer, obviously, to empty my card on when it fills up, and I know that I can fill up a 256 Compact Flash card (my bf has a digirebel with a 256 card) in about an hour. So...is there some other way to store my pics? Like some kind of portable...thing..I can download (er..upload?) them to so I can clear my card and take more pics? Or do I just have to save my money and get enough Compact Flash cards to handle the job? If so, what brands are best? Lexar? Sandisk? Kingston? Are there any I should stay away from? Lexar has a 2GB for $137 on newegg.com. Would that be enough????

2. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'll have my laptop with me, and I probably won't be the only one! :) Unfortunately, I don't have a burner on mine, but I'm sure we can figure something else.

I'm going to guess that at least one other person will have a laptop with a burner, so if you bring a few blank CDs, I'm sure someone would be happy to burn your photos for you and free up the card :)

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are portable, digital storage devices. Some even have a built in viewer. The might be more expensive than cards though.

I have seen small USB storage devices for a pretty low price...I don't know if people are using them for photos or not.

4. Corry

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sweeet! I'll bring CDs!!!! :) :) :)

5. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
  6. Corry

Photos NOT OK to edit
  7. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Sandisk is probably the biggest player in the flash card world, and they have a really good reputation. More than likely, just about any manufacturer would be fine.

The high-speed cards are just capable of saving pictures faster, which would really be used if you are shooting a lot of photos in a very short amount of time. I have a standard speed Sandisk card for my D70 and am very happy with it. I also have Lexar and PNY cards and haven't had any problems with any of them.

8. Corry

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks! I've got that particular card on my wishlist on newegg. I've ~ALMOST~ got enough money to buy the camera..well, actually, I DO have enough money to buy the camera, but the the card yet! (the cam is $899 right now, I have $902 in savings!) Just gotta pay a few more bills off...