Digital Cam Shopping Question

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by dlifesjrny, Mar 7, 2005.

1. dlifesjrny

dlifesjrny TPF Noob!

Are these good deals?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43454&item=3877675822&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43454&item=3877657646&rd=1
    http://www.47stphoto.com/caeosdirew2l6.html

I have never bought a camera. I was given one as a gift before I knew I loved photography.
    I have heard endless good things about Canon, from multiple users...

What do I look for and how do I shop for a camera?
    Will I have to buy one and buy add-on lenses?
    What is good as-is, meaning, a camera that can stand well on it's own ?
    etc...

I am looking to spend $600(but would go a few hundred more if I have to.)

Any help is gratly appreciated, thanks!

2. dlifesjrny

dlifesjrny TPF Noob!

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are looking to spend more than $600...I would suggest a Digital SLR camera, like the Canon Digital Rebel or Nikon D70. They are vastly superior to the point & shoot style cameras. The biggest reason is probably the size of the digital sensor. With either the of the DSLRs mentioned, the sensor is much bigger than anything you will find in any of those listed in your last post. A bigger sensor means better image quality and less noise at higher ISO settings. You cam make bigger & better looking prints.

There are many other benefits of a 35mm based SLR camera as well. Interchangeable lenses is a big one. You can invest in lenses and upgrade the camera if you want. The lag time is much shorter than with a p&s digicam. If you shoot sports or action shots...this is a big advantage.

There is a new Digital Rebel coming out this month...the Rebel XT (350D). It's quite an upgrade over the current model. However, you may be able to get a good deal on the current model...while supplies last.

4. dlifesjrny

dlifesjrny TPF Noob!

My main concern is that it seems that when buying a dslr, you need to buy multiple lenses to achieve certain thing, where, with some of the p&s stuff, they have great zoom abd macro abilities built in.
    Am I misunderstanding this?
    I don't want to have to buy 4 lenses right off the bat, that would highly increase the cost.
    Aslo, what about the links in my first post, those are packages for Rebels, how are the prices on those links? Good? Not good?

5. Kent Frost

Kent Frost TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As a personal preference, I would stay away from any camera (digital or no) NOT coming from a camera/optics company.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's true that lenses for an SLR can be expensive...but like I said, the are an investment. They will still be valuable 10 years from now because they will work with a wide range of cameras. A p&s digicam should still work in 5-10 years but with have little resale value.

Don't be fooled by the specs on a digicam. It may be convenient to have a 12x zoom, but the quality will be nowhere near a good lens on an SLR. And at least you have the option to upgrade with an SLR...with a digicam, what you get is what you are stuck with.

You don't have to go out and buy a bunch of lenses right away. The kit lens should be OK for a start and maybe a nice prime lens like a 50mm F1.8.

Digi cams do have pretty good macro capabilities and most can shoot short video. If that is really important to you, a digicam may be the right fit for you. It terms of learning the craft of photography...I think an SLR is a better choice.

Look around for deals...make sure you buy from a reputable dealer. You might get a deal on E-bay but I would personally rather buy from a store with a good reputation...or a local dealer etc. Use the link on the bottom of the page and check out Adorama.

7. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

I would add that you don't necessarily have to have different lenses at first. I purchased my film slr last august and only had the kit lens it came with until saturday when I finally bought another lens. I was able to do portraits, landscapes, and whatever I wanted to shoot with the kit lens, maybe no to the quality level of those of expensive lenses...but personally I think you can get away with one lens for a while :)

8. dlifesjrny

dlifesjrny TPF Noob!

Thanks for the infor med answers.
    I think I may be having to look at the Canon Powershot S1.
    For under $500, I can get that camera with extras:
    zoom lens, wide angle lens, filters, batteries, lens cleaner, carrying case, memory, etc.
    It sounds like it's really closer to my budget than a Digital Rebel plus having to buy the batteries, case, add-ons...