Digital camera for beginners?

piltilus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone.

I recently fell in love with the art of photography. Since then I haven't been able to go anywhere without my brother's digital-camera. I enjoy every moment with the cam. Anyway, here's the deal.. So far I have been using my brother's Canon EOS 350D that I really like - it's so easy to use, I've learnt so much about it and I can't complain about the quality of the pictures. Now I've decided to get myself my own personal digital-camera, so my brother could also have some time with his cam. :lmao: I'm nowhere near being an experienced photographer, thus I have not much knowledge regarding digital cameras or photography itself and that's also why I'm here trying to find help from more knowledgeable people. :hug:: I've surfed around the Internet trying to find a camera, but I can't really tell the difference between good n not so good cameras. I thought about newer version of 350D, which would be Canon EOS 450D. It seems fairly similar to 350D. Also, 40D. What do you think about forementioned cameras? What would you recommend me to buy, knowing that I'm not close to being professional, but I do enjoy taking good-quality pictures and I would love to learn about photography and digital-cameras?

I'm probably going to buy the camera from the USA, so which digital-camera do you think would be good for me?

Thank you so much in advance. I would like any information possible regarding digital-cameras and photography. Hopefully I'll be able to show you my pics and take part of the comps soon. :D

Last edited:
I'm a Nikon person, so I really can't help much on the Canon questions, but maybe with a bump, someone will see this and share some insight into the cameras you've mentioned.

Im new to DSLR photography myself and I did not want to spend more than $1000 for my first Camera.

I decided to go with the Canon EOS Rebel XSI/450D and I love it so far. I have had it for 1 week and 2 days and have already taken almost 800 photos.

Its very easy to use and all the reviews I read about it said it is a great beginner to Intermediate camera. It came with a 18-55mm lens and I picked up a 10-22mm wide angle and a 55-250mm zoom. The Auto setting are very good for a beginner. Still reading up on the manual settings so I have not used them that much so far. Hope this helps you with your decission.

I had been using the Olympus E-1 from 2004 until this spring when I purchased the Canon 40D. I don't regret having gotten it.

The 450D has slightly higher megapixels than the 40D, and uses the SD (or XD?) card, not the CF card. My reading suggests that the SD cards are now as fast and reliable as the CFs.

The 40D is a bit larger in your hands. It has more external buttons for greater ease of changing parameters. It has a bit more rugged build. It's more expensive. Image quality of both is excellent.

When I'd been trying to decide which camera to choose, my choices had been the 40D or Nikon D200. The D300 wasn't yet out, and hadn't really been discussed yet in the photo magazines I read. The 40D slightly edged out the D200 in terms of noise. When I went to the camera shops to try, the 40D felt more natural and comfortable in my hands.

My reading suggests that the Nikon D300 edges out the 40D in noise. Both use a 'cropped' sensor at (about) 1.6x a 35mm equivalent.

Go to the stores. Bring a CF card or an SD card. Try the cameras. Spend time, don't rush. Bring the cards back to your computer and zoom in on the photos. Make sure to try high ISOs.

Determine for yourself what feels 'right' to you.

Have a great time!

Thank you so much guys for your responses. :wink:

Model numbers are different in different areas, but if you are looking at Canon, I would go with the 40D, Nikon--- D300, and Sony ....A350 in roughly the same price range.

skieur

nikon d40. bargain DSLR.

If you are wanting Canon, then I would say get the 40D or 5D if money allows. The Rebel line takes great photos, but the controls are not as easy to use. I have the XTi (400D) and it was a pain in the butt to shoot in manual. Having to hold down a button and scroll the wheel at the same time is nuts. The 40D (and 5D) have 2 wheels. You cannot go wrong with any brand of camera. You also have to consider the other options: i.e.- lens selection, flash, 3rd party lens, etc for whatever brand you want to envest in. If you have the passion, it will likely become an obsession. LOL I liked Canon's lens line up, so that is the direction I went.

Derrick

Love my D80. Good pro grade dslr that you can use any nikon lens with. Solid build at reasonable price.

Most reactions

Back