Digital Camera for Macro Use

David6FL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need to purchase a new/used digital camera for the primary purpose of taking close up photos of small items, jewelry, etc. My current Olympus C-2000 Z just doesn't do the job. What are some opinions on the best available camera for the price. Frankly, price will be a major consideration in my selection.

well in all truth I think DSLRS sink most digicameras with macro performace - I have not seen a huge number of digicams, but my experience of them is whilst they have got macro modes it nostly not good enough for real use - and I assume you are looking to make product shots.

Best thing would be to get a used DSLR body along with a shorter focal range macro lens - you probably want up to true macro magnification for smaller items - so 1:1 macro - which means more cost - I would look for something like the canon EFS 60mm macro if you decide to go canon or a sigma 70mm macro (they make a range of these for different camera bodies - canon and nikon included).

Of course this is really dependent on how restrictive your budget is - we really need a price for this to work out where you are aiming for.

I assumed that a DSLR body and macro lens would be the way to go but the price is sort of stretching the budget at the moment. Since a new DSLR camera is announced almost every day, how far back in the used equipment ranks could I go in looking for a body? I have to say that $500 is about tops for body and lens. I would like to go lower if possible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back