Digital Camera help?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by AquaCan, Jan 22, 2005.

1. AquaCan

AquaCan TPF Noob!

What is the best settings to use when taking macro pics to get the best looking (clearity, colours,etc) pics? and the best for computer editting?
    Size: 1600x1200 ... 1024x768 ... 640x480
    Quality: S.Fine ... Fine ... Normal
    Metering: Multi ... Spot
    Sharpness: Soft ... Normal ... Vivid
    Ive been experimenting but i dunno? id like to hear some advice :)

2. LizM

LizM TPF Noob!

I always use the highest resolution and size I can. The metering or sharpness would depend on your subject and personal preferences really.

3. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Does your camera have manual controls? Which model is it?

Always use the high resolution, I would leave the sharpness on normal so that it doesn't over sharpen. You can sharpen them to your liking in the computer afterwards. Your camera should have some sort of Macro function. Maybe the icon looks like a flower? Use this, so you can focus closer.

Get a tripod if you can, because the closer you get to your subject, usually the less light is available, and you don't want any camera shake.

I would use spot metering. Your metering choice will not change the clarity and colours of your photo. It just changes how the camera interprets the light in the scene. If you spot meter, you measure the light by just the spot in the middle of the viewfinder or lcd, and base the exposure off of that. If you meter the brightest part of your scene, you won't over expose, which is critical with digital.

4. AquaCan

AquaCan TPF Noob!

thanks to you both :)

to: D.Matt
    yes i do have manual controls, it is a Samsung Digimax 202
    The Macro option is a flower lol and i use it for all the close shots
    i dont have a tripod and ill see if i am able to buy one for the model, if not i can make one
    I havent yet tried spot metering but im going to this afternoon and see what the difference becomes
    thanks for your help

does the quality have a big impact on the picure?

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are talking about the quality setting on the camera...then yes, it will make a difference. Especially if you want to make prints of your photos. The only reason you would want to use a lower quality setting, would be to get more shots on your memory card.

It's always best to use full size & quality. This way you can do more editing without degrading the image quality too much.

6. AquaCan

AquaCan TPF Noob!

Thanks Big Mike, I always had it on full res. but just on fine not s.fine quality :) time for some better looking pics
    thanks again
    AC