Digital Camera help?

AquaCan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What is the best settings to use when taking macro pics to get the best looking (clearity, colours,etc) pics? and the best for computer editting?
Size: 1600x1200 ... 1024x768 ... 640x480
Quality: S.Fine ... Fine ... Normal
Metering: Multi ... Spot
Sharpness: Soft ... Normal ... Vivid
Ive been experimenting but i dunno? id like to hear some advice :)

I always use the highest resolution and size I can. The metering or sharpness would depend on your subject and personal preferences really.

Does your camera have manual controls? Which model is it?

Always use the high resolution, I would leave the sharpness on normal so that it doesn't over sharpen. You can sharpen them to your liking in the computer afterwards. Your camera should have some sort of Macro function. Maybe the icon looks like a flower? Use this, so you can focus closer.

Get a tripod if you can, because the closer you get to your subject, usually the less light is available, and you don't want any camera shake.

I would use spot metering. Your metering choice will not change the clarity and colours of your photo. It just changes how the camera interprets the light in the scene. If you spot meter, you measure the light by just the spot in the middle of the viewfinder or lcd, and base the exposure off of that. If you meter the brightest part of your scene, you won't over expose, which is critical with digital.

thanks to you both :)

to: D.Matt
yes i do have manual controls, it is a Samsung Digimax 202
The Macro option is a flower lol and i use it for all the close shots
i dont have a tripod and ill see if i am able to buy one for the model, if not i can make one
I havent yet tried spot metering but im going to this afternoon and see what the difference becomes
thanks for your help

does the quality have a big impact on the picure?

AquaCan said:
does the quality have a big impact on the picure?

If you are talking about the quality setting on the camera...then yes, it will make a difference. Especially if you want to make prints of your photos. The only reason you would want to use a lower quality setting, would be to get more shots on your memory card.

It's always best to use full size & quality. This way you can do more editing without degrading the image quality too much.

Thanks Big Mike, I always had it on full res. but just on fine not s.fine quality :) time for some better looking pics
thanks again
AC

Most reactions

New Topics

Back