Digital camera, now with it's own projector

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by benhasajeep, Sep 7, 2009.

1. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

Nikon just introduced its Coolpix S1000pj 12.3 mpix digital camera that includes its own digital projector. Tech specs show up to 40" size about 6' away with VGA resolution.

So, now you have digital still, video, and projector in a camera.

2. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Cool. I'd buy that just for the projector :lol:

Oh, yeah, and ... is that projector in your pocket, or have your pants got a radioactive stain?

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Video I understand as its more a byproduct/enhancement of the liveview which was already popular in cameras. It was only a matter of time before the cameras recording capabilities were strong enough to be able to record the liveview output in good enough definition to be viable.

Pojector though its a bit more of an oddity - the first thing that comes to my mind is the bulb and heat - I guess the camera must have good ventilation, a special low temp bulb or only be usable for a limited period of time - otherwise heating internally could become a problem.
    Its a neat feature certainly, and more afforable than the £500ish digital projectors (though of course they will still command the best projection quality). Further it does address the presentation of images in more than just the net - something that is missing since we moved away from films and slides I feel.

Of course it could just be a features move and not have enough clarity nor range to be viable - will have to wait and see how it fairs in the field .

4. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

Say's 1 hour projection time with a full battery.

I was also wondering about bulb life. As they are pricey for regular projectors. And if its user replaceable.

The video capture was at the low end of VGA as well. 30fps though.

5. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Does the projector just play stills? And I assume the bulb is somewhere along the lines of an LED to avoid both heat and short lifespan.