Digital camera repair question

Judge Sharpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a question, about something I know next to nothing about. Digital Cameras.... My Daughter- in- law gave me her Minolta D5 that quit on her with the kit lens. The shutter does not work. Sony/ Minolta will fix it for $285.00, before they look at it. Local fix it shop said $490.00 This is a several years old camera out of warranty. Is it worth fixing, or toss it and start over. My D-I-L does child photography and now shoots Cannon product, so she does not care what I do with it. I have always used Minolta film equipment and liked it, but I am not impressed with Sony/Minolta.
Judge Sharpe

For the money of the repair, you can get a good, cheap DSLR. Particularly the Canon XT is not much more than that. If your D-I-L has Canon stuff, you might be able to borrow a lens from time to time.

I don't want a "cheap" camera.LOL No, if this one is not worth fixing, I will get a good DSLR, a upper end Canon, or a Nikon. It would be nice to trade lens back and forth, but, I not to lend out my Camera equipment, Wives or guns, That is why I have OLD camers in great shape that I still use. ( Also Wives and guns).( Wives not os old).
I suspect that I will go with Nikon if I am convinced that it is as good as the older film ones- Nikormat, F2-3s and the glass is worth while. I hate to spend that much on a snap shot camera, but I have film for serious work and digital is only a passing fad. :lmao:
Judge Sharpe

Most reactions

Back