Digital circular polarizer question

demonsmasher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a circular polarizer for my sony a100. I have a 50mm lens milnota 1.7f old film lens and a 55mm lens that came with my a100. I am going to get a step up ring so I can just buy a 55mm circular polarizer and use it on my 49mm. My question is, is there a big differnce in a digtial circular polarizer and a regular circular polarizer ? I know cost is one thing. Dose anyone have any pictures showing the differnce between the two types and which one would all of you get. If there is not a big difference between a Digtal and a regular then I will save the money, but if there is I would rather make my money better spent.

digital filters usually use have extra coatings to reduce flare and things like that. Depending on who you ask, they have little to no effect.

The most important thing is that you get a CIRCULAR polarizer.

Digital is just a catch word in this case. The filter goes on the front of the lens...and as such, there is no difference between film & digital, as the filter sees it.

There are some flare issues with digital sensors, which may require extra coatings, as Kyle mentioned...but that mostly has to do with the rear element of the lens.

I've seen 'Digital' tripods...and now 'digital' filters. What's next? Digital Hamburgers?

There is no difference. Just a word to catch your eye and hopefully you buy theirs instead.

Circular polarizer is all you need. As long as you don't get a linear polarizer, you're good.

Are B+W good filters?

I was wanting a CPL for two of my lenses that are 77mm filter size. The guy from B&H said that B+W are the best in the world. I bought it. Very good filter, but without any front threads on it. This (for me) means two things. If I want to use any other filter in addition to the CPL, I have to screw them on first then the CPL, no biggie. However, it won't let me use the lens cap. Either I have to use the plastic cap that comes with the filter and doesn't stay on well or I have to remove the filter and put it in it's case so that I can put on the lens cap. Expensive for my size, but very good.

All light is Analog.

Most new sensors have IR and UV filters built in.

A filter is still a good idea to protect your lens.

Yes, you can approximate a CPL in photoshop but you cannot replace it.

ND filters are very useful from time to time. Not often but when needed>>>!

Colored filters for digital cameras are a waste of money. <.>

Now, what did I miss? :)

Most reactions

Back