Digital Film Cartridge?

kovacs22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does a digital film cartridge exist, wherein a digital cartridge can be dropped into a film camera that uses a 35mm film? I've heard of one that had its project folded back in the late 1990's ("silicon film" or "efilm"). There's apparently another modern iteration of it, but I can't find much more about it. Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Does a digital film cartridge exist, wherein a digital cartridge can be dropped into a film camera that uses a 35mm film? I've heard of one that had its project folded back in the late 1990's. There's apparently another modern iteration of it, but I can't much more about it. Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks in advance!
It was ever joke only.

No, its not possible. A camera would need a lot of changes to be digital. The film plane would have to be a sensor, etc.

Does a digital film cartridge exist, wherein a digital cartridge can be dropped into a film camera that uses a 35mm film? I've heard of one that had its project folded back in the late 1990's. There's apparently another modern iteration of it, but I can't much more about it. Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks in advance!
Ricoh make a camera system that has interchangeable lens/sensor modules; GXR.

There is/was the "RE-35" which is/was an April Fool's joke (like the OP of this thread perhaps?):
RE-35 | Digital cartridges for analog 35-mm cameras

... and there is (or may be) the "DigiPod" which is (or may be) ... well, I don't know:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/digipod#/

Since lens mount adapters already exist that permit the use of many old film camera lenses on digital cameras providing virtually the same end product (a digital image taken with a great old lens), it doesn't seem all that viable an idea to me.

I think I have a better idea: Shoot FILM in your old film cameras! :)

Last edited:

Thanks in advance!
For film cameras with removable backs (which is very many top-end cameras) there is no reason why a digital back should not be made. A drop-in cartridge would be much harder due to the detail differences inside a 35mm camera.

Could it be made? Yes

Is it practical to do so? No

Even a digital back for 35mm film cameras would not be practical. The cost alone would exceed the need/sale-ability of such a beast in todays market. Cheaper, easier to improve/design a digital camera from the ground up than a retrofit for 35mm film gear.

I have a Ricoh GXR, but no it doesn't take film. Although maybe a cartridge from the back of an old Fotron...?? (Is it April fool's yet?! lol)

It does however have a unit with a lens mount for Leica thread mount and screwmount so I use the same lenses that I use with film rangefinders.

It could be done, but most likely with a small sensor and in the end your cell phone would probably take a better picture.

I'd venture to say the technology currently exists, but would be so prohibitively expensive at the moment for such a small target population segment to be unmarketable.

It's all possible.
Though I doubt highly saleable thus a losing business.

If someone really wants to see it come to fruition, then I recommend one bankrolls someone to develop the technology for a specific or multiple bodies. Then you'd know what we mean.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back