Digital for street photography.

rroewert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for opinions as to a good digital for doing street photography. Lugging around my Nikon D80 and a big lense just doesn't cut it. In the past I'd always used a Canonet because it was perfect size, it didn't make people nervous, and it gave me good results. But I've just sold off the last of my fime shooters. I have a Kodak V550 that I've used, and it's ok, but not very flexible. I've been looking at the Nikon Coolpix P5000. It has the flexibility I want, and the it's the right size. But before I lay out the cash for it I'd like to hear what others have to say. Ok, I'd like a digita Leica, but my wallet goes into convulsions when the thought comes up.
Any thoughts welcome. I'm basically looking for something that will allow me to shoot in aperture priority at as high as ISO 800, and give me a decent quality image.

I have a canonet too :)

There is a slight light leak in the back tho. It needs a new sealer. Cool little camera.

oh right about your post...... I just use my xt for everything so I can't really help you. A small 50mm f1.8 might be good if you don't have one. Good quality and really light on your camera.

One of the best cameras for street photography is a compact super zoom. The Minolta A200 has the advantage of image stabilization and a f2.8 to 3.5 28mm to 200mm zoom. Since the camera is black and not big, if you shoot from the shade, you won't be noticed by anyone. You could probably get one cheap on ebay.

Of course if money is no object and you really want to zoom to about 450mm with a compact super zoom then I would take a look at the Leica.

skieur

The Sigma DP1 looks like a 'digital Canonet' to me; fixed focal lens + large sensor for a compact (APS size) should result in good quality images. The problem is Sigma have been talking about this camera for ages but haven't released it yet and nobody has been able to review it. Apparently there are rumours for a release this summer... This might be a good camera for your needs if you can do without a zoom.

The Sigma DP1 looks like a 'digital Canonet' to me; fixed focal lens + large sensor for a compact (APS size) should result in good quality images. The problem is Sigma have been talking about this camera for ages but haven't released it yet and nobody has been able to review it. Apparently there are rumours for a release this summer... This might be a good camera for your needs if you can do without a zoom.
Yes, it actually doesn't look like a bad camera on paper.

Street photography, by definition, requires two things: speed and unobtrusiveness.

That means...
* no big cameras. This will trip you up...people will react to this and that is NOT what you are looking for.
* manual focus. At least the ability to pre-set focus. With digital this is especially important because most compacts have a significant shutter activation delay mainly due to the focus search (half a second is a lot!)

So, forget about big zooms...doesn´t really fit with traditional concept of street photography anyway. In fact zooming is regarded by some as a no-no. The old masters stuck with 35mm or 50mm or sometimes 28mm...and that was enough to produce some amazing work. Just look at what Winogrand and Cartier-Bresson managed.
And make sure you can pre-set exposure and focus.

Street photography, by definition, requires two things: speed and unobtrusiveness.

That means...
* no big cameras. This will trip you up...people will react to this and that is NOT what you are looking for.
* manual focus. At least the ability to pre-set focus. With digital this is especially important because most compacts have a significant shutter activation delay mainly due to the focus search (half a second is a lot!)

So, forget about big zooms...doesn´t really fit with traditional concept of street photography anyway. In fact zooming is regarded by some as a no-no. The old masters stuck with 35mm or 50mm or sometimes 28mm...and that was enough to produce some amazing work. Just look at what Winogrand and Cartier-Bresson managed.
And make sure you can pre-set exposure and focus.

Ah, everything you have said so far, fits with the Minolta A200: not big, manual focus option, pre-set exposure and focus possible etc.

skieur

I'm looking for opinions as to a good digital for doing street photography. Lugging around my Nikon D80 and a big lense just doesn't cut it.

I think D200 would be a better choice!

I think it´s clear that the D200 is a better camera than the D80

But I think we´re discussing what sort of digital camera is best suited to street photography.

If we are talking about the traditional art of street photography as practised for example by the acknowledged master of them all, :hail: HCB, then we probably should look for the digital equivalent of what he used...and read up on his method of working. Most other masters of street photography worked the same way...

The G7 looks promising. Well apart from the fact that it does not accept CF cards and no RAW. I read about it's distortion in the wide end, but check it out at a store.

Im sorry but this just looks hilarious to me:

PowerShot-G7-w-580EX-001.jpg

Looks like a decent camera though. Decent size with good features.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back