Digital Image Editing questions.......

OK so what program are you using to adjust your pictures? Maybe someone here uses it and, can help better. Did your camera come with a program to do the sdjustments.?
To do an adjustment on a given area you will need to isolate that area from the rest of the pivture. I can do it in PS with the lasso tool but, since you dont have it the point is moot. You can download trial version of PS at http://adobe.com/ to try playing around with it. Also you will find Elements and, Lightroom there as well and, see which works for you best.

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
Hi,
I am currently taking digital pictures, uploading the images to my computer, and editing them there.
My biggest hurdle is knowing how to adjust the brightness and the contrast, and the midtones. Sometimes I want to just scream because I find this process confusing.
I would like to know if others have had problems deciding how to adjust coloring. I will check this thread often, and I welcome all comments and suggestions.

I agree with Alfred on this one and Mike about the monitor. It is basically what you think looks best and accurate to the naked eye. I also use photoshop and have not had a problem with this part. My only issue is taking a good enough photo to NOT have to use photoshop or an external editor as much. :) Good luck to you.

I agree with Alfred on this one and Mike about the monitor. It is basically what you think looks best and accurate to the naked eye. I also use photoshop and have not had a problem with this part. My only issue is taking a good enough photo to NOT have to use photoshop or an external editor as much. :) Good luck to you.

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
Blue,
My goal is also to take a better pictue, so I don't have to depend on the editing features as much, too. I'm hoping my ability will develop with practice and time. Good Luck to you.

I really liked the following site for explanation of levels and how to adjust them in Photoshop. You just have to adapt most tutorials out there for the particular program you are using if you have capability of adjusting levels....

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/levels.htm

I generally adjust levels, crop, and sharpen in post processing.

Of course shooting RAW helps a lot too!

For starters it enables you to see the real result of your exposure, without the camera's (or any) processor touching it before you see it onscreen. So you can see how well you succeeded in capturing the image you set out to. And learn for the next time.
The second part of what you can do with RAW is that you can choose what you want to do to 'rescue' the things you don't like, and enhance the strong features of the image.

And of course you can also choose an 'auto convert' to jpg if you couldn't be bothered.

For starters it enables you to see the real result of your exposure, without the camera's (or any) processor touching it before you see it onscreen.

That's not quite true. The image from a Bayer-matrixed sensor has to be processed to be seen, and different Raw converters give different results. This small clarification doesn't detract from the overall meaning of the sentence, however.

Best,
Helen

I think I was in the same position as you. I did some editing of my photos but I wasn't sure I was doing it right or getting the most out of the editing I could.

I invited a friend who is a Photoshop nut over. I had selected 15 photos with specific concerns. Since my friend had never used Lightroom, I did the editing while he watched and commented.

Basically, he said I was doing okay and didn't have a lot of suggestions to make but it made me feel more confident.

I think I was in the same position as you. I did some editing of my photos but I wasn't sure I was doing it right or getting the most out of the editing I could.

I invited a friend who is a Photoshop nut over. I had selected 15 photos with specific concerns. Since my friend had never used Lightroom, I did the editing while he watched and commented.

Basically, he said I was doing okay and didn't have a lot of suggestions to make but it made me feel more confident.

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
Patrick,
That was a cool idea. Having a photoshop-nut friend is a great resource. Just having him watch you edit your pictures seems to have given you the confidence you were lacking.
It has been wonderful to have so many good ideas for my concerns, and a lot to research. I think with time, I will become more confident, too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back