TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.greeneye.ca
Digital infrared photography
Canon 10D
30 sec exposure

linex01small.jpg

exactly! The aliens were my first thought! Great picture!!!

Great photo, It's a shame i can't use IR on my camera. It wouldn't look out of place on the cover of a steven king novel. Slightly creepy!

I love the clouds they look like they are brewing a storm, very ominous.

Great pic congrats

Perfect timing green. I just bought a 10D and was wanting to do some photography like this. I was going to post a how to question when I found your post......SO, what kind of filter did you use and so on?

Great shot, green!

Geronimo said:
Dont know how green did it, but this thread has some good links to IR tuts.
That's for getting the IR look, but I think green shot using an IR filter, so she's exposing real infrared light. Photoshop effects can look nice, but they aren't the same to my eyes.

Many digital cameras are IR sensitive, so all you need to do is get the right size IR filter for your lens and experiment with exposure. You may have to experiment with the focus also, as IR light focuses at a different point. If you want to see if your camera will expose IR, point an infrared remote at it and see if you can see the light on the end of the remote flashing while looking at the LCD preview on the camera. If you don't have a preview, try taking a few pictures and see if you get any with the light showing.

Great shot Green. What lens did you use? There's a hotspot. I have a Hoya R72, and it seems that most zoom lenses will give you this hotspot. The 50mm f/1.8 is a great lens for it though.

All digital sensors are very IR sensitive, it's just that some models have a built in filter blocking IR. But I think you will get the IR effect with almost everything out there on the market with the right filter (one on the end of the lens that blocks visible light I mean).

Both the 10D and the rebel have fairly restrictive filters. They will do IR, but not as well as a lot of other cameras.
10D IR

Here's an informative site for other cameras.
and another

Don't forget to focus closer than the subject. I think it's about 10-20% closer. If one example, if the subject is 50' away, focus at 40-45'. It would be good to experiment.

markc said:
Don't forget to focus closer than the subject. I think it's about 10-20% closer. If one example, if the subject is 50' away, focus at 40-45'. It would be good to experiment.

I know zooms rarely have it, but don't modern prime lenses have the IR focus indicator on the focusing scale? All of my pre-90's primes (even the cheapies) have it.

In my experiments, which have had good results, I am focusing right on, and stopping down to f11, and the focus is right on, at least for landscapes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back