Digital Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Joe549, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Joe549

Joe549 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am looking at getting my first digital camera and am certain that I will get the Pentax K200. It is in my price range and the fact that I will be able to use all my current lenses from my 35mm Pentax is pretty much the selling point. I have read good stuff about the K200 on this site and do believe that this camera will suit my needs quite fine.

I have read numerous posts about the lack of "live view", so that brings me to my question... what is "live view"? I am assuming that it is the view down the lens similar to what I see through my Pentax SuperProgram......??

2. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    live view, is an ability to use LCD screen as a view finder - similarly as it is done on digital point&shoot cameras.
    not sure of other brands but with Nikon and Canon live view modes, focusing is SLOW (Nikon D90 and Canon 5D MarkII)

3. Joe549

Joe549 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, I don't think that will matter to me since I am used to not having that feature anyways.

4. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah, it's a feature I have on the 40d, and to be honest I rarely use it. In general the only uses I have found for it are when I am attempting Macro photography, in which case it provides a larger screen that I can look at, and I can see it from more angles. With my experience of macro photography the slowness of manually focusing is not a problem because focusing is primarily done with moving the camera closer and farther away from the item because of the shallow DOF.

I also use it occassionally to avoid laying on the ground trying to get a low picture at say a wedding.

All that is to say that I don't have much use for it except in rare instances. Even in these instances I could still generally work around not having it without too much problem.

5. 5DManiac

5DManiac TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Liveview is primarily for focusing while tripod-mounted. More useful for low light conditions where autofocus has difficulties or when you want to precisely control focus. It wears down the battery fast.

6. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Live view is what you see in a point and shoot and is great for shooting without having your eye glued to the viewfinder. It works best with a tiltable LCD screen and fast autofocus (Sony). Street photography, macro photography and event photography are some of the perfect venues for the use of live view.

skieur