Digital or 35mm

Digital or 35mm film camera? If you use both, just the one you use the most. Thanks

• Total voters

Revel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What camera type do you use ? Digital or 35mm. If you use both please vote for the one you use the most. Im just doing a bit of research :)

I like digital because the image is there for you to see where as 35mm you need to get the pics developed before you can see the results. I use them as I find it an affordable way into photography. Sadly im now finding that all the shops are now stocking digital only. I went in one today and they said that they cant wait to get rid of all there 35mm stock, 2 instamatics. I also find all too easy to delete all your pics by mistake with digitals.

I shoot 35mm, But equally 6x7 medium format. Other than that I shoot large format. Digital is nice for the reasons you stated, but film processing and print making in my lab is more enjoyable then mouse clicking. Don't get me wrong as I do my fair share of PS. But with film, you have something tangible with your negatives. You can't accidently delete them. Enlargement detail is my other consideration. Medium and large format is in a league of picture quality that digital is still very far from. I'm not knocking digital. It's my personal preference.

i'm still a film and paper guy, i love the process. for me it's much like making a drawing or sculpture.... it takes time, skill and a bit of luck.

I loved working with flim and making the pictures myself in the dark room, but the cost was just too great to bear.

With dslr cameras finally being able to produce poster size prints of high quality, it just made too much sense and so I made the switch.

Can't say I regret it, digital is where it's at now. =)

i shoot digital, but i'm planning to get myself a proper darkroom in the months to come and go back to film

Well if every computer in the world would crash or if there would be a .jpg virus I would live happy knowing my negatives are safe forever. I use digital for ebay sales only but I shoot a lot of black and white and digital black and white is just not the same as true black and white it's like night and day to me. So I vote film LONG LIVE THE DARK ROOM !

I think with digital people get lazy back in the day you needed to take your time set up a photo and make that set of 24 or 36 shots go as fare as you could. But now it's shoot 10,000 print 100 you know people take a lot more crapy pictures when thay know thay can just Delete it.

TheCanonMan said:
people take a lot more crapy pictures when thay know thay can

fixed it for ya ;)

i use both, i don't try to make film look like digital, and i don't try to make digital look like film, there's too much effort wasted in such endeavors... and for what?

i love sky photos, digital churns out my favorite results most of the time, plus P&S is just fun as hell, nice to not be so constrained sometimes, on the other hand there aren't a lot of portraiture or urban photography i enjoy in color (but that depends, many times i see a scene of red and gold, during of all times christmas, and think "good lord! but i'm loaded with B&W, oh well"), my primary camera is my 35mm, and i love B&W (most of the time)

Colour in digital but B&W in the darkroom. I can't tell the difference between a darkroom print and a digital when it's colour - I can with Black and White, and I don't like it!

TheCanonMan said:
I think with digital people get lazy back in the day you needed to take your time set up a photo and make that set of 24 or 36 shots go as fare as you could. But now it's shoot 10,000 print 100 you know people take a lot more crapy pictures when thay know thay can just Delete it.

I happen to agree digital does make you lazy and careless with what you shoot....

I first started off on Film with my 7000 and still to this day use it.... when i got my 7D I was still in the Film mind set and would be very cautious of what i snapped.(ask Thorhammer he can vouch for that one).. I'm still in that mind set which i guess is a good thing...

A few things: 35mm can be great, but if you're looking to be seriously careful/slow/meticulous, neither 35mm nor digital will force you to do that. That said, I've taken some wonderful shots with 35mm cameras, and I love the ME Super that I shoot with. You have to remember that the native resolution of film is relatively static across the board, and the only thing that's really changing is your print size when you shoot a different format. A solid, manual 35mm camera is extremely capable, and I've taken some of my best photos with one. I might also add that equipment, especially lenses, are quite expensive for digital cameras, while cheap for 35mm's (especially if you aren't shooting AF).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back