Digital Photography for Film Photographers

Actor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is there a book on digital photography for film photographers? By that I mean is there any book on digital photography which begins with the premise that the reader already knows about f/stops, shutter speeds, etc. Every book on digital photography that I've browsed through at book stores seems to be Digital Photography for the Complete Idiot. They either begin by explaining things I already know or else they sprinkle the text with things I already know. The result is that I either get bored and quit reading, or else I go through the frustration of trying to glean nuggets of new information.

i had a search, cant find anything tbh :(
I would suggest just reading through what you know.. cant hurt to double check?
But one book that may be of use (or 3...)
is scott kelbys - The digital photography book vol 1 - 3
It isn't a "learn how to do this book" its more of a help and guide like his description:
If i was out shooting with you and you asked me how can i take a picture of this flower but blur the background, I wouldn't give you a lecture about exposure and aperture I would tell you to get your telephoto lens out and set it to f2.8
you would then get the shot, That is what this book is like, it is as if You and I were out shooting together, like i would speak to my friends.

A similar question was asked on another site of hybrid users and someone who is highly respected on this site suggested "Photoshop Artistry for photographers using photoshop CS2 and Beyond". There are about 7 seven chapters that will be helpful for an experienced film shooter, then there is a huge amount of information for post processing . It comes with a CD for "lessons"

There's not much difference between digital and film photography from the camera standpoint. There are some, but no where near enough to fill a book.

The primary difference is on the "film & darkroom" side. There you'll find the big differences and the books that discuss it are generally specific to certain sofware applications (e.g. Photoshop, Adobe Camera RAW, Lightroom, Aperture, CaptureNX, ...)

Your best just asking an individual question and we will answer them to the best of our knowledge.

I'm interested in this question because I am in the same situation as Actor. Don't need to learn about exposure, composition, etc but I can certainly learn about what is digital specific such as WB, full frame vs crop frame, circular polarizers, etc.

There may not be enough for a huge book but I'm sure there is enough for, at least, a small one. And since I believe there would be plenty of takers, there's got to be something out there.

As for asking questions, easier said than done. How do you ask about something you don't even know exists? ;)

And some people, I am one of those, would rather sit with a book and read it through rather than get on the internet every time we run into an unknown.

Most reactions

Back