digital photography, still art?

Exactly... change with the times. Those are probably the same people that fear computers. Consider the source.

toastydeath said:
I have noticed that, in any profession, hobby, or art, that those who would speak down at people utilizing different technology or advances in their feild are usually incompetent when viewed in the context of the amount of experience those people usually have.

In photography, a person who has spent years learning the technical aspects of film only to fail artistically would very easily feel fear or jealousy over someone who just picked up the latest digital camera six months ago, yet is producing more interesting work than they ever did, or ever could.

rmh159 said:
Exactly... change with the times. Those are probably the same people that fear computers. Consider the source.
There are plenty of photographic processes that simply don't require a computer. That hardly means the photographers who employ them "fear computers". I would suggest you study up on the art of photographic printmaking as a whole before popping off like this and showing simple ignorance.

terri said:
There are plenty of photographic processes that simply don't require a computer. That hardly means the photographers who employ them "fear computers". I would suggest you study up on the art of photographic printmaking as a whole before popping off like this and showing simple ignorance.

Unknowingly, you just took his quote out of context.

The point was that many people fear computers - don't understand them, don't want to learn, talk trash, etc. Much in the same way some people "fear" digital cameras, and talk trash about the photographers who use them. Nothing negative is being said about photographers who simply opt to not use film. Just photographers who actively insult another area of photography.

The parallel being computers are a massive part of our everyday lives, yet some reject it entirely out of ignorance.

ZaphodB said:
Sounds like we got the wrong impression. But I think it might have had something to do with this...

Like I said in my earlier post, that seems to be suggesting that people only use film to try to look arty or cool. It doesn't allow for the fact that there are good reasons for using film instead of digital (and vice versa). Honestly I don't remember seeing anyone on this forum saying digital photography is not art or is somehow less of an art than film, which is why I didn't really understand where you were coming from.

not so much on this website, but in general.. i have ran into a few of these people in my day.

toastydeath said:
Unknowingly, you just took his quote out of context.

The point was that many people fear computers - don't understand them, don't want to learn, talk trash, etc. Much in the same way some people "fear" digital cameras, and talk trash about the photographers who use them. Nothing negative is being said about photographers who simply opt to not use film. Just photographers who actively insult another area of photography.

The parallel being computers are a massive part of our everyday lives, yet some reject it entirely out of ignorance.
I didn't take his quote out of context; I've read the whole thread and I responded to what I considered a gross generalization. I stand by my comment.

terri said:
I didn't take his quote out of context; I've read the whole thread and I responded to what I considered a gross generalization. I stand by my comment.

You read the whole thread, and then applied a gross generalization to a side comment about fear in changing technology? I'm confused as to why you stand by your comment when you admit that. Are you sure you read the whole thread? I read it twice now, just to check, and there's nothing that prompted or warranted your abuse.

He said nothing about photographic processes or use of computers in photography; you really did take his comment out of context, and belittled him. He wasn't even involved in the rest of the film/digital debate.

If you're going to stand by your own ignorance, there's nothing anybody can do about it, I suppose.

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion. You don't do well trying to justify it, however. Recognizing ignorance is hardly "abuse"; ignorance is a condition, which can be rectified by widening one's pool of knowledge. I was pointing, specifically, to the fact that certain photographic printmaking does not require the use of computers, and to say this: "Exactly... change with the times. Those are probably the same people that fear computers. Consider the source." is, in fact, a generalization that does not take that fact into consideration.

Regardless, my comment wasn't directed to you. You may continue in this thread as long as you wish, but you'd be wise not to continue your inflammatory tone here, or I'll lock it. In addition, your mention of a film/digital debate is noteworthy, for these debates aren't allowed. Please refer to the TPF FAQ's. Thanks for your cooperation.

For my humble opinion, digital photography is just another media for expressing art. The most important thing is the hand or I should say the mind behind it. So much debate was placed on photography when it was "a new kid on the block" at the turn of the last century or even earlier too??? Couldn't recall. I'm out of school for too long.

it is very to say once you have your picture taken wether digital or filmbased it is already Art , today Artist like me never would admit that I am a photographer I am just an Artist using photography as a medium, therefore it does not follow on matter of mastering the technicality of creating Picture what matter most is your concept....and how you discourse your work but still we could not really decide wether our work is Art it takes time and it is the the Person credibility that really matter most...one of the most expensive Photographic Work in recent times are not created by a master photographer but Artists like richard prince cowboy picture....etc.

My issue is that photography as a whole is not considered art like other mediums are, i.e. painting, sculpture, etc. Photography is painting with light and therefore should be considered art no matter if you use, a 110, 35, 120, 4x5, film or digital. It is all art and photographers are artists.

Most reactions

Back