digital processing time, workflow

jasonkt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The fashion photographer I work for has his entire shoot for a day online and ready for review, editing or purchase by his clients before they can even leave the studio. The jobs are also backed up the first and second time before the end of the day. His workflow seems to impress his clients, especially with the features of the site he's created (ask for info if interested), but do many fashion/beauty photographers need to provide their clients with such a fast turnaround time? How do these issues relate to other types of professional photography, like weddings/journalistic/sports/still life?

I am primarily a commercial/editorial shooter breaking into fashion.

A lot of photographers here in Cali offer the same deal. It is impressive and easy to execute in LightRoom. As for the need for it... I'm not sure. If my client was Vanity Fair; yeah they would get that treatment. If a good client begs I will do it. Normal clients get the standard 3-5 days. I am just afraid that if I offer same day service it will come back and bite me.

Just great. Now I am worried. I would like to hear other photographers thoughts. Am I shooting myself in the foot by not offering same day service?

Love & Bass

I don't know that everyone does that, but a lot of people in the industry do. It's not exactly a tall order to fill if you're already shooting tethered (or wireless equiv). In fact, I know a guy who is completely obsessive about his backups...makes multiples the same day of the shoot onto hot-swap hard drives and blu-ray discs.

Even if you're not shooting tethered, it's not a very big deal to transfer shots straight out of the camera and upload them.

Even on location, all it would take is a powerful laptop and a wireless internet card.

If I were a commercial or fashion photographer I would totally do it, with the obvious disclaimer that the shots are unedited and therefore require work in post. Besides, in many instances the AD may want input on the final shot, so giving them such access can make that faster and easier.

Backups are just a standard requirement.

On the corp. work I have done I have given to them on the same day if wanted. For family, weddings ect... I have a 10 day turnaround for proofs to be viewed. Most times it's far less than the full 10 days. I do the pp on those types of sessions before the customer ever sees them. I get a far higher sale if I have done all the pp and have everything all set up and looking nice so it's hard for my customer to turn down an image and easy to order. Around here 10 days is a very fast turnaround.

SOP is generally to do very mild batch processing of the proofs before showing them to the client as far as I understand it.

For good photographers there is very little post work, so in a digital world the files should be available same day. Prints, albums or other products might take a bit longer but if you're spending a lot of time editing then maybe you should think about better technique.

For good photographers there is very little post work, so in a digital world the files should be available same day. Prints, albums or other products might take a bit longer but if you're spending a lot of time editing then maybe you should think about better technique.

I think this a pretty general statement and only slightly true. My personal style requires perfect colour correction and sharpening. Proofs are sent out with slight post processing. Then final files are approved by the client. Depending on the client this can take days. Some other photographers rely heavily on post work. Not because they are bad photographers, but because that is their style.

Love & Bass

I think this a pretty general statement and only slightly true. My personal style requires perfect colour correction and sharpening. Proofs are sent out with slight post processing. Then final files are approved by the client. Depending on the client this can take days. Some other photographers rely heavily on post work. Not because they are bad photographers, but because that is their style.

Love & Bass

I checked out your link and I can see why you say this. Color correction and sharpening are not necessary when using proper technique.

You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think that "good photographers...require little post work."

Even Annie Liebowitz sends her photos out to be retouched.

You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think that "good photographers...require little post work."

Even Annie Liebowitz sends her photos out to be retouched.

I don't think I'm the one kidding themselves. And if your photos consistently need hours of retouching then you're a pro retoucher and not a pro photographer.

Not all take hours.

But let's just agree to agree that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Most reactions

Back