Digital QandA

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I finally got the XT....but now I'm learnin how to use it. So I've got some questions, and am sure I will have more after these, any help is greatly appreciated :)

1) Why shoot RAW???
2) What needs to be done to pics that are shot in RAW format? (I know the camera came w/a cd, but wasn't sure what all it entailed)
3) If I want to shoot b&w is it better to use the camera setting and filters on it, or change it later in PS?
4) Is Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 worth the 50 bucks Best Buy has it on sale for? I have a foreign version of PS that was given to me, but it has a few problems sometimes...dont' have the $$$ to get PS CS, so is elements decent?
5) Is there anything that I can get to protect the LCD screen???
6) Is a wireless remote worth it, and is there a specific one that has to be used?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these ?'s hopefully they weren't too stupid :lol: I should have a decent amount of time tommorow to shoot so I might have more ?'s after that :) Thanks again!!!

The biggest reason to shoot RAW (in my opinion) is if you're shooting anything professionally. Most people won't be able to tell the difference, but if you're getting money to do a shoot, I would set it on the highest you can so they get their money's worth. RAW images don't have any compression ratios built into them, so it is the most clear setting your camera will be able to go to. However, if you're like me and you love shooting TONS of pictures without waiting for saving or retrieval time, just shoot on the highest JPG mode you have, which would be the L-Fine mode.

The CD that came with your camera is a file viewer utility program which will be enable you to transfer your pictures to your computer without having to rotate your verticals. The program does it automatically. Also, if you don't have a program on your computer which will work with RAW images, it will read and/or convert them for you. The CD also comes with a panoramic stitching program which is lots of fun. ;-)

I personally don't have experience with a b/w mode built into a digital camera, however, I would be willing to bet that it's better to shoot in that mode with colored filters rather than mess with it later in photoshop. I have a 1st generation Digital Rebel, and I don't have the in-camera b/w mode, and I've noticed while working on my own projects that I lose lots of sharpness and resolution when I convert later.

I don't use Elements, I use PS 7.0 or CS, so I can't really answer this question. And to be honest, PS can be acquired for nothing. I know there's a debate going back and forth about whether or not you should pay for it, but personally, I think if you can get it then get it. But I'm not going to force that opinion on anyone.

Those LCD screens are pretty rugged. There's already a layer of plastic there to protect the screen itself. I will, however, suggest that when you clean it, Scotch tape will be your best friend. It takes everything off of the screen; fingerprints, dust, whatever.

I have a remote cable, and only a couple of times have I wished I had the wireless one. If you choose one over the other, I would say go wireless. You can do Bulb with either.

Thanks for taking the time to answer Kent! Your responses help a lot!!! By the way I noticed you're from Springfield...I actually got my camera from Lawrence Photo, they are a little higher priced on some things, but I really like the people in there, very helpful :) Thanks again!!!

I'm jelous...

1. Try a search...there have been a few lengthy discussions about RAW

2. See #1

3. I will say, shoot in color and convert later. You can mimic the effects of colored filters in PS...it gives you much more control and you can always adjust contrast etc. If you shoot in RAW, B&W is not an option since the color data is not fully attached to the file yet.

4. PS Elements 3.0 for $50....yes it's worth it...every penny. I have both PS-CS & PSE 2.0. PSE 2.0 can do most of what PS-CS can do...and PSE 3.0 is a nice step up from 2.0.

5. The LCD screen already has a protective screen built in. I've read that you can just buy a new one for about $20 and it's easy to change. Don't worry to much about protecting it.

6. Do you use a remote on any of your older cameras? Do you like to shoot with slow shutter speeds? Do you want to take self portraits? etc.....

Ah yes, who did you buy the camera from? I know just about everyone from there having worked there for over 2 years. Good group, best stuff from KC to Little Rock. lol

Didn't the camera come with Elements 2.0 at least, if not 3.0? I don't use either, but I doubt there's a $50 difference between 2.0 and 3.0.

Thanks Big Mike, in regards to the remote question I would like to attempt some self portraits, but also want to try car and star trails as well. My grandparents are also having an 80th bday bash, and everyone wants me to take pics, but also be in them, so that would be helpful for it as well...but I don't have one for my film camera...

Kent, I preordered the camera from Mary Lou, but a younger guy was the one that actually sold it to me yesterday. Not sure of his name, but I really like them alot. They are always busy no matter what day or time :)

Matt, it didn't come with elements at all which was sort of a bummer...so that's why I was lookin into gettin it, maybe I'll do ask Kent suggested :lol:

Thanks again for all the help, I'm off right now to take some pics, and figure this bad boy out :mrgreen:

If the younger guy had a goatee and curly hair, that was Jason. He's a good guy. Mary Lou's cool as well. Jerry is the know-it-all, he's been there for 30+ years.

Yep that sounds like the guy that sold me the camera. Matt, instead of elements it came with ArcSoft PhotoStudio. Not sure how great a program it is, I've been playing around with it, but can't figure how to save for web. It's pretty similiar to elements from what I can tell right now, but I'd prefer elements at the moment. I'll give it some time and play with it...maybe I'll end up liking it more later :)

eromallagadnama said:
Matt, it didn't come with elements at all which was sort of a bummer...so that's why I was lookin into gettin it, maybe I'll do ask Kent suggested :lol:

Amanda, I probably have 2 or 3 copies of Elements 2.0 laying around. Are you SURE it didn't come with it? It might be on the cd with all the Canon software. It's really supposed to have it, I thought for sure. My $75 Wacom Tablet came with it for cryin out loud. My digital Rebel came with it.

If you want it, I'll mail it to you.

I installed all the software it came with yesterday and it didn't come with elements. I thought for sure that it would have too, but I don't think that it was ever mentioned in any of the reviews either...I'll send you a PM, if you have an extra and you're sure you don't mind I'd love to have it. I tried a trial version of it and liked it a lot. Thanks so much for a generous offer :)

Most reactions

Back