Digital Rebel Stock Lens Question

stymiee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First let me preface my post by acknowledging that I am not a professional, or even amateaur photographer. My wife and I currently own a digital camera which is four years old and we feel no longer suits our needs. We've set a budget of about $500 for a new camera but we're not afraid to spend more if we feel we'll really get a good value for our money.

My wife has identified three cameras that she feels would suit us well. One of them is the Digital Rebel. However she seems to believe that the lens on it is very poor. This is based on information she's found online. I can't tell you who the source is or how credible it is but she seems to be convinced enough to rule out the rebel as an option. I work with a graphic designer who sold cameras for eight years and after giving her a comparison sheet of the three cameras we've identified she says the digital rebel is by far the best.

If I am going to convince my wife the Rebel is the better option, I need to be able to convince her the lens is ok. So my question to you is this: how good or bad is the stock lens on a digital rebel?

(If you're curious, the two other camera being considered are the Fujifilm FinePix S7000 Z and Panasonic DMC-FZ20. I originally posted this in a kodak forum but I figured that might be a good idea to get a non-kodak specific point of view.)

Everything I've heard thus far, from here and another website, says that the lens with the rebel is really good. You can check out an in depth review of it and the other cameras at www.dpreview.com

I think they even gave it a Highly recommended rating on that site. Good luck with the camera hunting, welcome to the forum, and let us know what you decide on. :D

Welcome to the forum.

I will also tell you that the digital rebel is much, much better than either of those other cameras. The main reason is the size of the sensors. Checking on dpreview.com, I see that the sensor on the S7000 is 1/1.7". Compare that to the APS sized sensor on the Rebel 22.7 x 15.1 mm.

A bigger sensor means much better image quality and much less noise at higher ISO.

As far as the lens goes, I don't have the D Rebel but lots of people here do. From what I have read, it's not the best lens but it's still decent and a good deal when you get it for $100 with the Rebel kit. Another advantage of the Rebel is that you can use any of the lenses from Canon's EF line-up. Those other cameras are fixed lens (I think) and their lenses are probably not as good optically as the EFS 18-55 Canon anyway. Check dpreview for sample shots to compare, if they have any.

The choice seems like a no-brainer to me. If lens quality is still an issue, buy a Canon 50mm 1.8 for $80 to start with. Best bang-for-the-buck lens around.

Hope this helps. I'm sure some 18-55 users will chime in to offer more advice.

Just got mine and I'm quite happy with it, as is my boyfriend. But, if you really don't want the kit lense, like Mike said, don't get it. Just get the body and get the 50mm 1.8. It's fixed focus, but it's a nice lense. :) Good luck! :)

"Everything I've heard thus far, from here and another website, says that the lens with the rebel is really good."

Complete bollocks. For a $100 lens, yes, maybe you have a point, but otherwise its utter crap.

And this is coming from a guy that owns the lens. And the rebel.

The lens is shoddily constructed, plastic everywhere, give everywhere. It feels cheap, and that's putting it mildly.

Photographs taken with it, in my eye, are always poor quality and soft.

I dislike this lens with a passion, but i only have that one and a 70-200 f/2.8 EX. So maybe i'm spoilt.

My advice would be - buy the camera body-only. It's tremendously good value and can produce stunning pictures with the right glass - bear in mind it sports the same sensor as the 10d. Then invest $2-300 on a good quality lens from either canon or sigma, either are good. Then stand back and appreciate it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back