Digital Rebel Xt or D70?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by kilifila66, Jun 13, 2005.

1. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

I have yet to cross myself over into the digital photography world, mainly because I can't decide which camera to get. I have narrowed it down to the Canon Digital Rebel Xt and the Nikon d70, I now am asking for some honest feedback from people who use them. Which do you like and why?

Thanks in advance

2. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

I shoot with the D70 and love it. It's quick, light, and just feels right. The images are sharp and the battery lasts forever. To me, the rebel just felt wrong in my hands and didn't do anything for me. It's all about the preference. Go and hold both of them, shoot with them and check them out for yourself because I can sell you on the D70, but I would feel bad if it wasn't the one for you.

3. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

I agree with Hobbes except on the part about the d70 :lol: I have an XT and am in love with it...however you have to figure out what's right for you and go and try it them out and choose...a common complaint is that the XT is too small of a grip for some. It works for me, and as far as images go the quality is great!!! Just test them out and have fun and let us know what YOU decide :)

4. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

I have a D70 and love it. I think they both have roughly equivilent stats, so it really comes down to which one feels the best and which one has the lenses and accessories that you need.

5. spiralout

spiralout TPF Noob!

Ditto. I have a D70; the XT feels too light and cheap for my taste (although I know it isn't cheap), and the D70 just had more sex appeal... if that's the best way to put it. *whistles and looks around* I don't think you could lose with either.

6. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

What they said. I too chose the D70 over the XT for three reasons: the build was better, the quality of the images is virtually identical, and I can borrow Scott's lenses :lmao:
    But yeah, it doesn't matter too much either way. If you already have some lenses for an SLR film camera, I'd buy into that brand.

7. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Does that imply that you shoot film? If so, what format? Are you invested in Nikon or Canon, or any other brand for that matter?

8. railman44

railman44 TPF Noob!

I went with the D70. So far so good. No complaints...

9. sfaribault

sfaribault TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  10. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

Yes I am still shooting film right now and I am shooting on an old Pentax Spotmatic from like 65' with all 45mm screw mount lenses. Don't know if I can get converters for them or not. I am at this point leaning more toward the d70 because I went and checked them both out. I like the feel of the d70 better but I was wondering about the iso possibilities of it, the lowest iso i found was 200? can I not turn the d70 down and farther?

11. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

There isn't a way to lower the ISO below 200 on the D70 and that's one thing that I was worried about before I bought it. I haven't been disappointed any with it only going that low. The grain is unnoticeable as far as I've ever seen.

12. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

Cest La Vi, 200 should do just fine. It's the overall quality that I am worried about. Thanks for all your help everyone.