Digital Rebel Xt or D70?

kilifila66

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have yet to cross myself over into the digital photography world, mainly because I can't decide which camera to get. I have narrowed it down to the Canon Digital Rebel Xt and the Nikon d70, I now am asking for some honest feedback from people who use them. Which do you like and why?

Thanks in advance

I shoot with the D70 and love it. It's quick, light, and just feels right. The images are sharp and the battery lasts forever. To me, the rebel just felt wrong in my hands and didn't do anything for me. It's all about the preference. Go and hold both of them, shoot with them and check them out for yourself because I can sell you on the D70, but I would feel bad if it wasn't the one for you.

I agree with Hobbes except on the part about the d70 :lol: I have an XT and am in love with it...however you have to figure out what's right for you and go and try it them out and choose...a common complaint is that the XT is too small of a grip for some. It works for me, and as far as images go the quality is great!!! Just test them out and have fun and let us know what YOU decide :)

I have a D70 and love it. I think they both have roughly equivilent stats, so it really comes down to which one feels the best and which one has the lenses and accessories that you need.

SLOShooter said:
I have a D70 and love it. I think they both have roughly equivilent stats, so it really comes down to which one feels the best and which one has the lenses and accessories that you need.

Ditto. I have a D70; the XT feels too light and cheap for my taste (although I know it isn't cheap), and the D70 just had more sex appeal... if that's the best way to put it. *whistles and looks around* I don't think you could lose with either.

What they said. I too chose the D70 over the XT for three reasons: the build was better, the quality of the images is virtually identical, and I can borrow Scott's lenses :lmao:
But yeah, it doesn't matter too much either way. If you already have some lenses for an SLR film camera, I'd buy into that brand.

kilifila66 said:
I have yet to cross myself over into the digital photography world

Does that imply that you shoot film? If so, what format? Are you invested in Nikon or Canon, or any other brand for that matter?

Yes I am still shooting film right now and I am shooting on an old Pentax Spotmatic from like 65' with all 45mm screw mount lenses. Don't know if I can get converters for them or not. I am at this point leaning more toward the d70 because I went and checked them both out. I like the feel of the d70 better but I was wondering about the iso possibilities of it, the lowest iso i found was 200? can I not turn the d70 down and farther?

There isn't a way to lower the ISO below 200 on the D70 and that's one thing that I was worried about before I bought it. I haven't been disappointed any with it only going that low. The grain is unnoticeable as far as I've ever seen.

I love XT :) although I have played with it only for a couple of hours but I love it :) Especially wwith sigma 18-125mm which is a great lens. And what's more XT is smaller and fits perfectly in my hands, while d70 is much bigger.

I love my 300D. No complain. To be honest, the 350D (Rebel XT) isn't too far from the 300D at all, just some extra megapixels, (8 vs. 6.3) faster image processors and write-up speed (things you can do without if you got the first shot right), faster start-up, faster transfer and buffer... and that's all. Nothing major enough to justify the difference in price, especially when the 300D comes with Elements 2.0. (New version is Elements 3.0. However, since Elements 2.0 has been around for quite a while there are more books on the market that is written by people with more experience to the programme = easier to learn your way into editing digital photographs) Just something you should think about on.

But before I stray too far from the topic... depends on your liking. Canon cameras are actually quite easy to use, very simple control. If you just start on using a d-SLR camera and don't think you can handle too much, you should try the XT. However, if you are confident that you can handle complexity, go for the D70 by all means. However, there are no major difference between the two cameras that you should be worries about - try your hands on both of them before buying. Or just toss a coin :D

BTW - there seems to be some comments going about saying that Canon XT's has better image quality compared to Nikon D70. I can't confirm it- it might have come from a Canon fanboy. Just remember that XT uses CMOS sensors, Nikon CCD.

Most reactions

Back