Digital Rebel XTi vs. XT & XT repair question

gunit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
In a moment of empty-headedness, when the battery re-charger for our XT went missing, a very bad decision was made to experiment with a regular battery from an SLR film camera (apparently NO ONE saw the NB-2LH only warning on the XT battery door!!). The dry-cell battery was in place only momentarily, but the damage was done -- the XT no longer functions (i.e., even after re-installing the proper, fully-charged battery). I believe the motherboard was fried (if only because of the heat and the smell!). Perhaps even the memory card was damaged. Canon suggests that perhaps only a fuse would have been damaged.

So, here are my questions:
1. Does anyone have a FRIEND (!!) who likewise placed a dry-cell battery in the camera, and if so what were the results? (Fried fuse? motherboard?).

2. Is it worth attempting to have the camera shipped back to Canon for repair? My fear is that it will never work "right" again, if it will work at all, and I don't want to waste two weeks waiting for a verdict from Canon about its fixability if it isn't likely to be restored to its previous condition.

3. Replacing the camera - XT or XTi? I am perhaps beyond a being a beginner, but hardly an advanced photographer. That said, I do manage some good outcomes and want to be able to produce good quality printed images (possibly even in large format). I know the XTi is superior, but is it worth the difference?

4. When one buys the body-only XTi via Amazon, does it come with a battery and recharger? Does it come with the bundled software that is apparently included when you buy the lens as well?

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest you send it into Canon. At worst, it will cost you shipping to find out that it's done. At best, it's an easy fix.

The difference from 8MP to 10MP...isn't really all that much. There are other upgrades on the XTi, but if you don't need them specifically and you can find a good deal on an XT, then maybe that's a good choice. However, if it's only a little bit more for the XTi...then why not get it and enjoy the upgrades?

Thanks for the input.

Not that this is relevant to the forum - I couldn't help but notice the Oilers jersey -- I grew up in Ft. Sask, during their hay-days (Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, etc.)

Ft. Sask is a much bigger place these days, there are actually several NHLers who have built homes there in the last few years.

I'm a Season Ticket holder for the Oilers...it was fun for the playoff run a few years ago...but not so much last year :lol:

4. When one buys the body-only XTi via Amazon, does it come with a battery and recharger? Does it come with the bundled software that is apparently included when you buy the lens as well?

I just got an XT body (from B+H) and it came with the battery, charger and SW (plus strap, PC cable). According to their web page, it's the same case for the XTi (I'd guess it's the same from other sources)

At best a fuse is fried which is unlikely if you said you got a bad smell. At worst it's all gone the AF unit the sensor the whole shebang.

If you send it to Canon it will work again. At least demand that. It's sent in for a repair then they are obligated to repair it properly, and if that involves replacing every electrical component inside then even that should get done.

Most reactions

Back