Digital shooters..what do you keep?

Ant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do you keep every single picture you've ever taken or just the good ones and delete the rest?

I've got a tendancy to just burn the entire contents of the CF card to DVD and I have to admit that a lot of the photos are probably naff.

My archive is up to about 15GB now and I'm thinking I could save a lot of space by only keeping the decent ones and binning the rest.

Well so far with my 20D I've adopted the approach of keeping everything that I like, I'm then burning them to cd and filing them in a cd box I have. I say whats the point in keeping photos that you don't like. Surely the point of being a photography enthusiast is that you like the pictures you take?

Since I've been focusing on my pictures the last few months, I throw out almost everything that I don't like. I've become a lot more picky about which pictures to keep. I think that is the beauty of digital. I know I can take a ton of pictures (and for me... learn, learn, learn) and keep the good ones.

Every single photo is sitting on this hdd. I plan to go through them and delete the rubbish.

*gulp*

I keep the good ones.

Then again, my defenition of "good" has been changing. The "good" pictures that I took few months ago is trash right now.

well luckily, i have two 120GB harddrives... so I kept every picture i took wiht my Canon, sorted in folders by date... but with the new Panasonic, i'm going through and only saving the ones that don't suck (i.e. i junk blury ones, etc).

I download from the camera, review and decide which ones are worth editing and delete the rest.

It depends on the subject.
If it has any of my family in them, I keep em.
Even if the image is total trash and everything is a blur, I keep em.

All other subject I keep all the photos on the HDD but only backup to dvd those that I like.

If the exposure is way off or the focus is horrible I delete it. Everything else makes its way on to a DVDR when I have enough photos to fill up a dvd.

I think professionals wouldn't want people to see their bad work. Not that I'm a professional but that how I feel about my shots too. If I don't like it I delete it immediately. Questionable ones I decide later. I organize my folders then burn to CD. I have a case logic cd book I keep them all in.

I go through the pics and delete bad exposures, blurry ones, then the ones with bad composition... etc...

The only ones left are the potentially useful pics "for the future"

I keep em all. Not always sure why.
As I learn more about photo edit software I have made a couple shots work.
I also find some days photos look better than other days. I stumbled upon this one last night. When taken, I did not like it, and last night it appealed to me. A slight sharpen only.

d2efb07e.jpg

I have about 5gigs on my HD, and backed up on CD.

I hate going throug CD's to look for photos.

i delete about 50% of images in the camera, then cull another 50% when sorting on to hardrive. within a week i usually delete a bunch more. probably end up with less than 5% keepers.

I keep everything that is not to out of focus or exposure. And save them to CDs
Never now what you may need them for

Most reactions

Back