Digital SLR and Sunpack Flash

rp1600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm slowly but surely moving from film into the digital world and have a question about compability between my digital and film systems. While I will still use film (an antiquated Canon F-1 that I love), I'd also like to use my old, but reliable sunpak 522 with my Canon EOS 350D. Is this at all possible?
Thanks.

The only issue is the flash trigger voltage. *I think* the 350D can handle 250V, so most units would be OK on it. Check to make sure.

Some EOS cameras are only rated at 6V or 9V...the 10D was low but I know they beefed it up on the 20D to 250V.

From this site your Sunpak 522 most likely puts out 190v...which is fairly high so make sure to check your camera specs.

Are you sure thats the only issue? I believe digital EOS cameras require E-TTL type flashes namely from their EX flash line. I had an old Sunpak flash used for several years on my Elan and it would never work correctly when I got my 10D. Finally broke down and got a 420EX. Many manufacturers including Sunpak now advertise digital Canon SLR compatibility. Not sure really if they are 100% compatible.

On the other hand.. I never tried flash photography in full manual mode using a handheld flashmeter ( i didn't own one at the time).

Also, using them as a slave might be a problem as E-TTL canon flashes on a digital body will emit a preflash for metering purposses.

Well, there certainly are other issues, as you pointed out. Most off-brand flash units are not TTL compatible anyway.

Does you flash unit have manual settings? Does it have an Auto Thyristor?

I use an old Braun Vario-Zoom flash with my 20D. It doesn't communicate with the camera like a Canon flash will...but the flash does have auto settings. I set the F number and ISO on the flash...and then match those settings on the camera. (camera in manual mode, shutter at or below flash sync speed). That's all there is to it.

I think that some flashes, like Canon's older EZ units...don't have the auto modes...they relied on the camera for their reading (this is why they don't work on newer cameras)...or they could be put into manual mode (which I think is just full power)...and then you could do a simple calculation to figure out what F-stop to set the camera at...for your exposure. GN (guide number of flash) divided by the distance to subject is equal to the F stop required.

Most reactions

Back