DIGITAL SLR CAMERAS? HELP!

kshinabery212

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a Digital SLR camera that runs under $1000? My wife and I are probably going to buy one either today or tomorrow.

We thought about getting the Canon EOS Rebel XSI (450D)... But we are not 100% sure.

I want to get a camera that is not entirely too expensive that I can still produce good work and start working on fashion/model shoots... and still work with photo journalism or travel photography. My wife would like something practical that she can easily learn, although I would invest in taking a small class so that we know all the features. She has a good eye as well and I would like to see her start working on photography in her spare time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me at [email protected] .

Thanks,

Kenn.

Find a slightly used camera body and use the extra $$ to buy decent glass.

Hey Kenn,

The thing about digital SLR photography is when you chose a brand you're also commiting to a lineup of lenses and accessories.

Just about any digital SLR that costs under $1000 will work. There are some nuances that won't become apparent until you and your wife get more experience under your belt.

IMO, the best camera available right now for under $1000 is Nikon's D90. It has the very good image quality and ISO performance. Nikon also makes some quite good, relatively inexpensive kit lenses in addition to their lineup of pro glass.

taking great photos is not about the camera body.

Its about the lenses and the knowledge one has. I have an XSI and found my photography progressed faster after following some pros along as an assistant and then getting better lenses.

Canon or Nikon would be fine. I would look at either the Canon T1i or the Nikon D90 as a good entry level camera that is up to date with current technology

Get the D90, honestly you won't be disappointed!

I myself uses a D90 so I would be bias since I don't have experience on other body to compare to, but I find the D90 to have everything you need without having too much "advance" functions that you won't use until you are way further into photography.

I agree with K.Li. Shot film for years then got a D-90 w/2 kit lenses and a SB-600 speedlight. It's like starting all over again, but even in automatic functions it's hard to take a bad picture. As I learn the camera, get better glass etc. I think it will take me as far as I want to go. Whatever you get, buy a good brand that is an integrated, well designed system. I did a lot of research and the D-90 seemed right for me, but it's all subjective. Tom Beard

Get the NIKON D90! You and your wife will love it!

Buy either Canon or Nikon and you'll be fine. Both make quality cameras and have the lens systems to back them up, if you really get into it. I've got a post you might want to read about some of the things to consider when buying your first DSLR over at The Discerning Photographer photo blog.
Good luck!

Andrew
The Discerning Photographer

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a Digital SLR camera that runs under $1000? My wife and I are probably going to buy one either today or tomorrow.

Hey, I don't wanna be a jerk, but shouldn't you do some more research than this if you are gonna drop $1000? That's a lot of money? What's the rush anyway?

Anyway, I'll probably go along with the D90 recommendations, although I've never used one. I'm still using an old D50 because I don't have $1000 to drop on a camera right now.

Either Canon or Nikon. that way as things progress you will have a top notch and fully speced system to grow into.

Bodies get better every year (unlike my own) and, although by the time you get it home, it will have been replaced by a newer one, it will pay to get as new a body as you can. This is because you will get as many extras on it as poss, and the latest tech. Also advice in magazines and web sites will be current. And you will get the manufacturers warranty with it just in case anything goes wrong.
I am assuming that as yet you are a little limited in experience, (That will rectify itself with time), and as such the kit lens which comes with the camera will be better than any compact which you may already have used and should blow you away. also it will give you plenty of time to work out which types of photography you whish to persue. THEN you can think about the type of glass (Lenses) that you want to buy (Not cheap, so don't dive in until you have some idea).
In the main, top quality lenses will last and continue to take good images for many years. Camera bodies will also, but tend to be superceeded regularly. Although will still work as well as when new, even if they are not newest top of the range etc.

My own preference is canon, This is because someone bought me a Canon camera in the 60s and I grew up with them. In this case I would have no hessitation in recomending the 500d as reliable, versitile and has everything on it that you could dream of. The quality is such that I earn a good living with them. Nikon will have something similar, but you will have to read elseware as I know nothing about them and would not give advice unless I new about the subject.
So go to your LCS (Local Camera Shop). Pick up a selection of cameras from both manufacturers to try. See how they feel in your hand. That is how to choose a camera. If the LCS have a problem with you handling the cameras, turn round walk out and go into the next one. There are loads of shops and all of them want your money (and if they give you good service, they are about to get quite a lot of it).

Always remember that it is not the camera wich makes the picture, It is the photographer. You will need imagination, skills and practice to rise above the several hundered people with a camera who turn up at most events. But a decent body, a good sensor, and good glass will help things along quite a bit.
Hope this helps a little...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back