Digital SLR: Nikon D50 or K-M D5?

Julia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is my one of my first posts on this forum. I'm looking for a entry-level digital slr and I think I've narrowed my choices to the two in the thread title. I've been waiting to read more reviews of the KM D5 but have only seen a couple on the major websites like Steve's Digicam, etc.

I have an older Nikon AF SLR with a 1.7 50mm lens and also have a quantaray 70-300 AF zoom for it. So, with the D50 I would be starting off with two usable lenses. But I REALLY like the idea of the image stabilization (and thus greater flexibility) the KM D5 offers.

So, I'm torn. Any thoughts? Advice?

TIA

Have you read the reviews at www.dpreview.com yet for both cameras? You can also compare them side by side to see strengths and weaknesses for both.

My initial suggestion would be to go with the Nikon because you already have the glass for it. They are similar enough for that to stick with what you already have.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your decision. Let us know how it comes out.

Thanks. Yes I read the DPreview review on the Nikon D50 but they still don't have a full review on the KM D5. My already having the two Nikon lenses isn't as much of a consideration as the desireability of the IS and which camera has the best picture quality, all things considered. My impression so far is that the difference in image quality is slight with some saying the D50's is better and some saying the KM's is better.

One thing I've been wondering is why do the Nikon D50 and D70 have ISOs starting at 200? I assume it makes no difference somehow but I don't understand why the difference.

I think it's supposed to be close to the 7D except for the changes listed when you compare them side by side.

I was concerned about the ISO 200 being the lowest setting on the camera myself but haven't run into any sort of problem from it. I like taking night shots with long exposures so I put it to the test and it passed with flying colors. I don't know that anybody knows why they chose that setting but it's one of those things that people don't seem to mind either. (I have a D70 btw)

In the long run I think the Nikon would be more flexible. I have shot a Nikon DSLR for over 4 years and not found an instance where I thought IS would be needed. The image quality of the D50/D70 is outstanding and very hard to beat IMHO.

The thing is that I've never used a tripod and would like to be able to do without one as much as possible. So if the image quality is comparable I might want to go with the KM D5. I also like that the lcd screen is bigger just because I HATE having to get out my reading glasses everytime I need to change something on the menu.

OTOH, my local Penn photo shop has a special on the Nikon D50: $700 for camera with kit lens plus free 512 mb card. I would switch the 512 card with the 1 gig card I now have in my Panasonic lumix dmc 4 mpxl. And of course I have the two lenses I could already use.

Decisions. Decisions . . .

The ISO 200 shouldn't worry you at all. My camera (D70) shows virtually no noise at 200, so there really isn't a need for anything lower.

I would think the Minolta is better because of AntiShake. But they are both entry level,(what ever that means) so i would go with the one that you already have glass for.

Most reactions

Back