Digital SLR Specs & Purchasing Advice

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by SuperSpark, Apr 12, 2010.

1. SuperSpark

SuperSpark TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been doing Photography for about 2 years now and am one of my school's yearbook photographers. The model they use is I think a Nikon D300, however it's the school's so I can only really use it on yearbook assignments.

I am currently looking into buying a good Digital SLR myself to continue photography after I graduate, but I'm kinda broke. I'm trying to invest in one but I'm not sure what to get. The highest I'm willing to buy one for is probably around $500.

What brands/models do you recommend and why? Also, what specs should I look for and what are good amounts of said specs?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  2. mdtusz

mdtusz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If your school has a D300 for you to use, you're going to hate that budget of yours when it comes time to shop. The D300 is a ~$1200 body alone. With $500, you will be able to get a camera in the range of a Nikon D60 or one of the Canon Rebel series. I don't know enough about the Canon's though. My advice would be to:

a) Save up
    b) Ask the school if they want to invest in a new camera and sell you their D300
    c) Get what you can for $500 but look at used first. There are great deals to be had.

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    In your price range specs won't matter a whole lot and any camera brand will be about the same as far as specs, image quality, and features.

All will be fairly limited since a budget of $500 is the bottom of the entry-level market segment.

You can find the specs for current Nikon cameras at nikonusa.com, current Canon cameras at canonusa.com, and Pentax at pentaximaging.com.

$500 will get you a basic entry level digital SLR with an 18-55 mm kit lens with a little left over for some basic accessories like a camera bag and a memory card or two.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3000-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G/dp/B002JCSV5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271171527&sr=8-1#productPromotions"]Amazon.com: Nikon D3000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Electronics[/ame]

Nikon | D3000 SLR Digital Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens | 25462

Nikon D3000 DX-format Digital SLR Kit w/ 18-55mm DX VR Zoom Lens | BuyDig.com

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  4. Fedaykin

Fedaykin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nikon D3000 + Kit Lens, Canon Rebel XS + Kit Lens, Pentax K-x(good entry level, has HD video.)

You could also try Sony or Lolympus. Either that or buy a used higher quality body if you don't mind used gear.

5. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The best combo for $500 that I can think of would be a nikon d80 + a 50mm f1.8 af lens. You should be able to find that combo used for $500 or less.

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    What would I do with $500?

I'd get myself a used Pentax K10D with a few Manual Focus K-mount primes. For the following reasons.

* SMC Kmount Pentax are good performers (not necessarily true for zooms)
    * Kmount are 100% compatible with current Pentax bodies (including K10D). Yes the aperture linkage is still included in all their bodies
    * Kmount lenses are plentiful and inexpensive
    * You can use screwmount M42 lenses with adapter (but no auto aperture)
    * In body Image Stabilization means even old lenses are stabilized.
    (yes I've heard from the in lens IS camp... but on a budget this is good enough)
    * The K10D (and K20D) have OPTICAL prism viewfinders... NOT penta-mirrors.

But that's just me...... some can't or refuse to not have AF.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010