Digital SLR

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Ethan120, May 14, 2005.

1. Ethan120

Ethan120 TPF Noob!

Im a relative begginer at photography. I've been using a film SLR camera for quite some time and, it being from the 50's, ive decided its time to go digital. I dont have a whole lot of money and was wondering what is the best slr camera to get for the price?

2. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Hi Ethan,

Welcome to the forum!

As it's the internet and we're all a diverse bunch from different countries, we can probably help you more if you can give us a country, currency and nominal maximum figure. "Not a lot of money" is a rather situation dependent quantity, as is "best" :)

Another factor to help us help you is that if you want a specific tool for a job, the camera will depend on your likely subjects / style. Most dSLR cameras come with an all purpose zoom lens which suits most people, but if you're only going to do, for example, portraits then you might have a different choice.

Rob

3. Lensmeister

Lensmeister TPF Noob!

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this EN
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am interested in this too ... I am in England and have a price range £300-400. But it must be Canon .. as all my gear is Canon.

Also I need it for afst sports ...

Also used/Second hand isn't out the question.

4. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Look at used Digital Rebels and 10Ds, or if you want new, the Digital Rebel Xt.

5. Contra|Brett|

Contra|Brett| TPF Noob!

for the money, a d70 outfit is the best. 999 after 100 mail in rebate (USD) the lense is an increadibly nice 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 ED IF AF-S which is a 24-135 in 35mm terms. There is no canon equivalent for the price. nor is there a pentax, or minolta equivalent.

The pentax *ist Ds can be had for 899 from ritz camera w/ a 18-55 and a quantaray 70-300.

i'd get the d70 outfit just because of the lense, the 18-70 is a good portrait focal length and is good for landscapes as well. The downside to the pentax, is that it lacks features that the d70 has, and the pentax is a pentax, so it's a little harder to find the nice glass.

6. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Digital Rebel XT is quite the equivalent.

7. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Adorama has factory refurbished Canon10D for $800 USD, IMO this is way to high because the Rebal XT is 860 USD, maybe you could haggle them down. IMO 10D is only worth about 600-700 USD

8. Matty-Bass

Matty-Bass TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ok I'm in Canada, currency is about .86 against the american dollar, and I particularally want to do mostly street and indoor still lifes. Like shots up a piano keyboard, looking down an alley. What's a good choice for me? My price range is around 300-400$ Can and I don't mind a used product. Any model that still life people like?

9. Andrea K

Andrea K TPF Noob!

I dont think you would be able to get a digital slr for that price range as the digi rebel is still going for 800 american on ebay, but if you really want an slr you could go with a nice film slr for that price and you could prob get a lens for it too but then of course you have to buy the film

10. Andrea K

Andrea K TPF Noob!

edit: just realized u already have a film slr

11. Matty-Bass

Matty-Bass TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My price range mite expand once i make some money this summer anyways. But can anyone suggest a good longer lens for a Canon that's in my price range? maybe cheaper? Because I'd like to take pictures of birds and my lens is just the regular one, i think its a 50 mm. I'd like maybe a 200mm if there is such a thing

12. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

You're just not going to get something dSLR and newish for that money I don't think. Time to rob a bank I would think.

The good news is that you only need a standard lens to do that kind of photography though - it's pretty much the best to visualise and the best for depth-of-field/light to cost ratio.