Digital SLR

Ethan120

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im a relative begginer at photography. I've been using a film SLR camera for quite some time and, it being from the 50's, ive decided its time to go digital. I dont have a whole lot of money and was wondering what is the best slr camera to get for the price?

Hi Ethan,

Welcome to the forum!

As it's the internet and we're all a diverse bunch from different countries, we can probably help you more if you can give us a country, currency and nominal maximum figure. "Not a lot of money" is a rather situation dependent quantity, as is "best" :)

Another factor to help us help you is that if you want a specific tool for a job, the camera will depend on your likely subjects / style. Most dSLR cameras come with an all purpose zoom lens which suits most people, but if you're only going to do, for example, portraits then you might have a different choice.

Rob

for the money, a d70 outfit is the best. 999 after 100 mail in rebate (USD) the lense is an increadibly nice 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 ED IF AF-S which is a 24-135 in 35mm terms. There is no canon equivalent for the price. nor is there a pentax, or minolta equivalent.

The pentax *ist Ds can be had for 899 from ritz camera w/ a 18-55 and a quantaray 70-300.

i'd get the d70 outfit just because of the lense, the 18-70 is a good portrait focal length and is good for landscapes as well. The downside to the pentax, is that it lacks features that the d70 has, and the pentax is a pentax, so it's a little harder to find the nice glass.

Adorama has factory refurbished Canon10D for $800 USD, IMO this is way to high because the Rebal XT is 860 USD, maybe you could haggle them down. IMO 10D is only worth about 600-700 USD

ok I'm in Canada, currency is about .86 against the american dollar, and I particularally want to do mostly street and indoor still lifes. Like shots up a piano keyboard, looking down an alley. What's a good choice for me? My price range is around 300-400$ Can and I don't mind a used product. Any model that still life people like?

Matty-Bass said:
ok I'm in Canada, currency is about .86 against the american dollar, and I particularally want to do mostly street and indoor still lifes. Like shots up a piano keyboard, looking down an alley. What's a good choice for me? My price range is around 300-400$ Can and I don't mind a used product. Any model that still life people like?

I dont think you would be able to get a digital slr for that price range as the digi rebel is still going for 800 american on ebay, but if you really want an slr you could go with a nice film slr for that price and you could prob get a lens for it too but then of course you have to buy the film

andreag5 said:
I dont think you would be able to get a digital slr for that price range as the digi rebel is still going for 800 american on ebay, but if you really want an slr you could go with a nice film slr for that price and you could prob get a lens for it too but then of course you have to buy the film

edit: just realized u already have a film slr

My price range mite expand once i make some money this summer anyways. But can anyone suggest a good longer lens for a Canon that's in my price range? maybe cheaper? Because I'd like to take pictures of birds and my lens is just the regular one, i think its a 50 mm. I'd like maybe a 200mm if there is such a thing

Matty-Bass said:

You're just not going to get something dSLR and newish for that money I don't think. Time to rob a bank I would think.

The good news is that you only need a standard lens to do that kind of photography though - it's pretty much the best to visualise and the best for depth-of-field/light to cost ratio.

so if i understand, if I buy a larger lens I have to see the best depth of field from a lens at the best price. If I find one that's jsut enough depth of field, then I should get it? Maybe I'm not understanding properly

My current lens has like no zoom, it only focusses.

Matty-Bass said:
so if i understand, if I buy a larger lens I have to see the best depth of field from a lens at the best price. If I find one that's jsut enough depth of field, then I should get it? Maybe I'm not understanding properly

My current lens has like no zoom, it only focusses.

It's a prime. It is probobly better quality and faster (lower f-numbers) than any zoom you will find untill you can afford a 2-3000 dollar pro lense.

for a f/2.8 like it sound's like you're looking for, you are looking at around 1500 USD, so times. 1.86 that's about 3.8-5000 canadian dollars.

I think the big two are the Canon Rebel XT and the Nikon D70(s). I currently own the nikon d70, but I did try them both out at the store. I love the feel of the nikon d70. It is sturdy and strong, with a great weight to it. I hated the feel of the Rebel XT-felt cheap and plasticky to me. Of course, I have manhands (being a man) and if you are more petite, you may like the XT.

Craig

Most reactions

Back