Digital Vs 35mm

rodeofoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hellllllo! I am new!

I have a huge question for you. Forgive me if you have this topic already in detail.

If a person is taking mostly high speed, low light, fast action photos, from a distance away...how much do you think they would have to spend to get a good digital camera that would work.

I argue this with people that its going to be pricey?

I would love any answers you have!

Thanks!!!

Weezy
www.rodeofoto.com

Yes, it's going to be pricey, for film or digital. What you describe (low light, high speed, fast action photos, from a distance away) requires a fast telephoto lens, which will run you minimum $5-600, for a Sigma, and well over $1-2000 for a good Nikon / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 or a prime.

If you want to shoot digital, you'd better then get a good dslr that can handle noise well in higher iso's, and probably one with a high frame rate. You are looking at $1500 minimum for that.

It's just not going to be cheap either way really, but certainly (upfront) a dslr will be much more expensive.

Film or digital isn't the main consideration. Whichever you use you are going to need the best telephoto you can get to do action from a distance.
That's where you need to spend the money.

Hertz van Rental said:
Film or digital isn't the main consideration. Whichever you use you are going to need the best telephoto you can get to do action from a distance.
That's where you need to spend the money.
I agree, but for "high-speed/fast action" he needs a camera with a good amount of FPS along with the good lens.

Only if you are going to shoot sequence, and he didn't say he was.
For film you'd need a motor drive - max 5fps.
For digital the usual max is about 5fps - but only if you have a high speed memory card.
Both are expensive extras.
The situation as I read it is that the subject will be at a distance with low light levels and the subject will be moving at speed.
That will need the fastest ISO you can get and a pretty fast shutter speed.
The maximum shutter speed will be determined by the widest aperture you can get on your lens. Bigger is better.
Any digital or film camera that can take interchangeable lenses should be able to cope with the rest.

Wow! Thanks for all your replys!

Now, question. Don't you think a person can buy a 35 mm much more inexspensive (esp on EBAY) then digital to take the same photo?

I see so many people going digital and they have really blurry photos...

Does that make sense?

Weezy

You can get blurry photo's with film too.
You have to remember that with film, you have to buy it, get it processed and get prints. This costs.
If you are going to put them on the Web then you need them scanned. You either pay for that or buy a good scanner.
So cost-wise they probably come out pretty much the same.
Don't forget that with digital you can see what you've got straight away - you have to wait with film.
On the other side of the coin film has some qualities that digital lacks.
On balance I wouldn't say there is much to choose between them. Certainly not enough to make a recommendation.
My advice would be to go with what you are happiest and most comfortable using.

Thanks Hertz!

Do you think there is pressure on people who like 35mm to 'get with the times'?

LOL

Weezy

Yes, you can buy a "great" 35mm SLR for less than a "good" DSLR. You just need to ask yourself what's more important. Your time or your money? As far as blurred pictures, you have to understand under those conditions(low light, distant, fast) it is extremely hard not to get a blur without the right equipment and recipe.

rodeofoto said:
Thanks Hertz!

LOL

Weezy
Of course there is pressure... and there really isn't any was of getting around it...
Like Hertz said, just use what you feel comfortable using. I mainly use 35mm... but I also have a decent digi for when I have to take around 150+ images (or little stuff that I need to throw out on the web real quick.)

rodeofoto said:
It is your line of work and/or the associated expenses/time/your comfortable workflow that would dictate the 'pressure'. You do not necessarily have to get digital just because every one has one.

Most reactions

Back