Digital v's film

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I worded that wrong, not that people who shoot digital dont enjoy it just as much as people who shoot film, its just an entirely different, much slower process.

I do in fact do both, in different situations.

Thanks for all the input guys. It's exactly what I was looking for: a spirited debate on the subject. I will take all your advice on board and use it. I was leaning towards digital but my correspondence course advisers seem to be leaning towards film. I can understand where randerson07 is coming from as I mess around with old cars as a hobby. Although they aren't as practical as a new car, they still look good and are fun to drive and work on (not that I'm saying film is old).
Greg

You might also consider what a nightmare it can be to properly back up and secure your digital images, especially after you've been shooting for a while. Further, you have long-term storage media and compatibility to consider. Whereas with film, you just need some negative pages and binders.

:lol:

How many binders would you need for 10,000 negatives? You could fit that many images on a 100gb 2.5" HDD.

:lol:

How many binders would you need for 10,000 negatives? You could fit that many images on a 100gb 2.5" HDD.

Not that many. A ring binder such as this can old around 30 negative sleeves. Assuming you archive 645 negs, you can fit 16 negatives per page, that's 480 negatives per binder. So you would need roughly 21 folders for 10000 negs. Alternatively, I think you can use neg storage pages that fit in hanging filling cabinets so that you don't need ring binders.

Look! :sun: A cut n paste from the TPF FAQ's!

* No digital vs. traditional arguments or debates are allowed. We have separate forums where the virtues of both mediums are discussed. No provoking comments will be tolerated.

So long to this thread. Now, don't whine that it's been friendly so far and don't whine that I'm being heavy-handed. The guidelines are clear.

To the OP: you're new, you should have read the FAQ's, and I'm personally suspicious of all newbies who post this line of questioning before they're 5 posts in. Reeks of trolling.

There have been several of these threads in the history of TPF, and most go off badly. You can find these discussions all over the Internet. Use the search function if you have to read a pro & con thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back