Digital vs. Traditional....Please offer your opinions

Which is more useful to the general public?

• Total voters

jasonasmith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently a student of photography who uses both traditional and digital methods. I am conducting a small survey for a school research project. Any help with the following questions would be great. I am looking for simple responses so I can get a general idea of peoples opinions on traditional vs. digital methods. Thanks for your help.

-Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your professional needs?

-Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your personal needs?

-What do you feel is the public opinion regarding using digital over traditional methods?

-In your opinion is digital photography truly more cost affective than traditional photography in the long run?

-What major issues remain to solved involving digital photography?

-How soon will high quality digital cameras reach consumer friendly prices? Do most consumers really need a higher quality digital camera?

-What is your stance on the dialogue of the future of traditional vs. digital methods?

Any sort of response is welcome. Again, thank you so much.

Sincerely,
Jason A. Smith

-Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your professional needs? Digital

-Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your personal needs? Digital

-What do you feel is the public opinion regarding using digital over traditional methods? Fear of technology

-In your opinion is digital photography truly more cost affective than traditional photography in the long run? Depends on the amount of shots you take and what quality you need. The more photos you take the more cost effective it becomes.

-What major issues remain to solved involving digital photography? Storage and focus

-How soon will high quality digital cameras reach consumer friendly prices? Next year. Do most consumers really need a higher quality digital camera? Need? Maybe. Want? Definately!

-What is your stance on the dialogue of the future of traditional vs. digital methods? Both have a valid place in photography. Simply a matter of personal choice.

Good luck with your class!

Which is more useful to the general public?

Obviously film has been more useful in the past century, and in the future digital will be more useful. Right now we are in a transitionary period.

-Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your professional needs?

-Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your personal needs?

I use traditional film photography for both. I love the look of a hand printed photograph from a big piece of film.

-What do you feel is the public opinion regarding using digital over traditional methods?

I think people perceive it as being more convenient and cheaper. I agree that it is more convenient.

-How soon will high quality digital cameras reach consumer friendly prices? Do most consumers really need a higher quality digital camera?

I think that the image quality of most digi point-n-shoots is already good enough for most folks, and the prices aren't too bad.

-In your opinion is digital photography truly more cost affective than traditional photography in the long run?

No. When looking at it over a single year it may seem cheaper, but equipment (camera, computer, printer, etc...) upgrades and professional printing services over a lifetime of photography is going to make both film and digital cost about the same: a lot!!!

For me I want to see a DSLR with a sensor as good as the Canon 1Ds for under $500, and it needs to have at least the dynamic range of slide film. Even so that wouldn't replace any of my medium and large format film equipment. Eventually I'll want a DSLR that has the resolution of 4x5 sheet film and the dynamic range of BW neg film. :D Insuring the stability and safety of digital files is also an issue that is starting to be dealt with (in many fields besides photography).

-What is your stance on the dialogue of the future of traditional vs. digital methods?

I get tired of the attitude that a photographer has to pick one or the other. Even when I get my fantasy DSLR (described above), I'll still be shooting film and printing in my darkroom; I like it. I feel that continuing to study both only strengthens my skills and versatility.

I'm not a professional, can't answer that one

Depends on the situation. If I'd like to take pictures of something, but I'm not too concerned with quality of pictures, I'd use my digital. If I'm looking to get some cool shots though, I'd use my film.

I think most people, people who aren't serious into photography, would definitely prefer digital. Digital is all about convenience, not quality (unless you spend a lot of money on your digital). People don't have to spend so much money developing film.

I'm not really experienced enough to give a good answer, but I'd say it's a little balanced. When I took my trip to Alaska, I took 14 rolls of film, and the developing costed about $150 (with a picture CD). That's expensive, but then again to get a digital camera with similar quality to my film camera I'd have to spend at least 3x as much. With higher quality digitals, the size of the pictures will be bigger, so you'll need a big memory card which can run you about $150. You still do have to print your pictures out (unless you're content with letting them sit on your hard drive). I guess if you take a LOT of pictures, digital is definitely more cost efficient, but if you're like me and not sure how serious you are about photography yet, film is the way to go.

From what I understand, you can't get very big enlargements with digitals, unless you spend a LOT of money. Even my dad's $180 point and shoot camera got pretty good enlargements. I'm not sure of the size, it's at least 20 inches wide by maybe 8 inches tall (it's a panoramic shot)

If by consumers you mean parents that just want pictures of their kids birthday parties, I'd say no they don't need it. I'm hoping that within five years really good quality digital cameras will fall in price drastically. My digital camera is I believe 2 megapixels, I spent about $230 on it when I got it. I can get over 3 megapixels for the same price now I bet.

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

I just got into photography recently, and at first I was convinced I wanted a digital for conveniences sake. Quality, however, does matter to me, and I'm not rich so I can't go out and spend $1000 on a great digital camera for a hobby that I'm not even sure if I'll really get into. My film costed me $250 (that's with a lens, and it was a crappy lens which I'm replacing now), and it gives me pretty decent quality pictures. I'm very satisfied with the camera itself (though not the lens). It'll be a few years yet before a digital camera with acceptable quality will be in my personal price range, I think.

jasonasmith said:
-Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your professional needs? Digital. As a portrait photographer I find digital to be a wonderful tool. Before I leave a shoot the client can look at the pictures and make sure we've got what they are looking for. I remember at my wedding, there was not one picture of my family where someone didn't have their eyes closed. I paid a lot of money for those photos and was upset! I check to make sure I've got the shot before I leave!

-Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your personal needs? I started with traditional, did my own black and white printing as well. I did enjoy it, but now that we are in the business I have switched to digital for personal use as well.

-What do you feel is the public opinion regarding using digital over traditional methods? I think there are still mixed reactions from the public. Most of the people I know that have bought a camera in the last few years have gone digital.

-In your opinion is digital photography truly more cost affective than traditional photography in the long run? Yes, I do believe it is. Since I can edit everything on my computer I print only the photos that I want. I invested money into a great printer and don't need to send anything into a lab. When I think about most of my wedding shoots, I take 1000+ images. I don't have to worry about the developing costs and I don't have to stop to load new film, I can take over 200 images on one card.

Making a high quality affordable camera. I also think there is some loss in black and white in digital. I still prefer the look of a hand printed black and white photo.

I think consumers tend to over spend for what they really need. My husband sold cameras for many years and always found that people came in looking for way more camera than what they needed. Case in point, the 10D vs. the 300D. Nearly the same camera but the 10D offers more options for professional photographers just as a plug in for lighting.

-What is your stance on the dialogue of the future of traditional vs. digital methods? I think that digital will be the prevalent camera of the future. Look at DVD vs VHS or tapes vs. CDs. I do not think that film will be completely gone though.

-Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your professional needs?....Film

-Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your personal needs?....Film

-What do you feel is the public opinion regarding using digital over traditional methods?....Makes them think they are great photographers

-In your opinion is digital photography truly more cost affective than traditional photography in the long run?...No,,,digital cameras are Future Trash

-What major issues remain to solved involving digital photography?...Resolution

-How soon will high quality digital cameras reach consumer friendly prices? Do most consumers really need a higher quality digital camera?....We are years away from digital coming close to equaling film

-What is your stance on the dialogue of the future of traditional vs. digital methods?.....Long live Kodachrome 64

AlisonS said:
jasonasmith said:
-Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your professional needs? Digital. As a portrait photographer I find digital to be a wonderful tool. Before I leave a shoot the client can look at the pictures and make sure we've got what they are looking for. I remember at my wedding, there was not one picture of my family where someone didn't have their eyes closed. I paid a lot of money for those photos and was upset! I check to make sure I've got the shot before I leave!

-Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your personal needs? I started with traditional, did my own black and white printing as well. I did enjoy it, but now that we are in the business I have switched to digital for personal use as well.

-What do you feel is the public opinion regarding using digital over traditional methods? I think there are still mixed reactions from the public. Most of the people I know that have bought a camera in the last few years have gone digital.

-In your opinion is digital photography truly more cost affective than traditional photography in the long run? Yes, I do believe it is. Since I can edit everything on my computer I print only the photos that I want. I invested money into a great printer and don't need to send anything into a lab. When I think about most of my wedding shoots, I take 1000+ images. I don't have to worry about the developing costs and I don't have to stop to load new film, I can take over 200 images on one card.

Making a high quality affordable camera. I also think there is some loss in black and white in digital. I still prefer the look of a hand printed black and white photo.

I think consumers tend to over spend for what they really need. My husband sold cameras for many years and always found that people came in looking for way more camera than what they needed. Case in point, the 10D vs. the 300D. Nearly the same camera but the 10D offers more options for professional photographers just as a plug in for lighting.

-What is your stance on the dialogue of the future of traditional vs. digital methods? I think that digital will be the prevalent camera of the future. Look at DVD vs VHS or tapes vs. CDs. I do not think that film will be completely gone though.

I agree with most all of what Alison said. With a few additions.

[What do you feel is the public opinion regarding using digital over traditional methods?

When I was selling cameras I hardly every sold a film camera to the general public. We sold some film slr's to students and those that wanted interchangable lenses but couldnt afford the digital slrs. The general public wants digital and they want it bad. It has been wonderfull for the industry.

What major issues remain to solved involving digital photography?

Stopping the magnification factor on digital slr's, getting a wider latitude range on the same slr's

They are already there. Anything 3MP and above will meet 95% of the consumer needs.

No, they dont need them. They just want them. Bigger, better, stronger, faster. Thats what sells today for any product.

What is your stance on the dialogue of the future of traditional vs. digital methods?

Film is dead except for artists and traditionalists. everyone else has moved to digital.

jasonasmith said:

Not a professional.

Digital although I play with film on a very limited basis.

They love it although I believe that many consider it "lower quality", that will probably change in time.

Absolutely!

Ksmattfish said it well, dynamic range equivalent or better than B&W film and the definition of medium to large format film and while we're at it prices equivalent to film cameras.

-How soon will high quality digital cameras reach consumer friendly
prices?

They're there now.

Do most consumers really need a higher quality digital camera?

Wasn't the Ford model "T" OK for car consumers?

Film will be around for a long, long time and will probably always have its niche.
One final thought, because of the simplicity and ease of use of digital cameras we may well be gaining many more photography enthusiasts.
HTH

I agree with Santino, Use both, digital is really useful if you want to have your images posted on an electronic medium such as the internet or in electronically published documents.

However film gives you something tangible at the end of the process, Digital can be printed out but it's extra hassle and cost that many consumer digital users aren't fussed about when they can display their slideshow on a PC.

I personally like getting my prints back from the lab and being able to flick through them and have something real. It gives a better sense of achievement in my opinion. Digital photography is going to bring an age of disposable images, you take a shot, view it instantly and can ditch it and try again, whereas with film you have to make sure that you have everything set up to produce the result you want because you have a limited number of shots at the subject.

Just a thought.

Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your professional needs?

depends on the situation. for paying gigs i prefer digital, partially because of the cameras i have... canon AE1 vs Canon 10D... the 10D has a better final quality, bigger enlargement size etc... also, same as alison, theres less stress in digital because you KNOW that they turned out fine before you leave. (plus it works out cheaper... less cost more profit). i love film because its the roots of photography... allows for mystery and suprise... some of my favourite pictures are ones that suprised me when i got them back from the lab.

Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your personal needs?

same as above... kind of. it all depends on the situation... sometimes i prefer the ease of digital and the "editability" since i'm not great in the darkroom... and other times i like the simplicity of film.

What do you feel is the public opinion regarding using digital over traditional methods?

i think a lot of the time digital photographers get a lot of flack because they're not doing photography the "real way"... which is sad... its just another medium for the same thing...

In your opinion is digital photography truly more cost effective than traditional photography in the long run?

(sorry about the edit... its one of my pet peeves) definitely. my costs went down by half for weddings and portrait shoots. plus, you can preview your pictures and print only the best. I went out yesterday to take engagement pictures of my brother and his fiance... took 180 pictures. if i used film, i would be printing them all... approx 8 films? so about $65... with digital... i will likely print 10... whats the point in printing anything less than stellar and having them collect dust in an album... so... $2.50? the rest i will store on cd and if i want more later, i can print them.

What major issues remain to solved involving digital photography?

as a personal thing... i'd like to see a split crystal focus on canon EOS's but thats a problem with the film version and the digital. manual focus is never as sharp without it.

also storage... i worry about the quality of cds in 10-15 years... whether they will disintigrate will all my pictures.

How soon will high quality digital cameras reach consumer friendly prices? Do most consumers really need a higher quality digital camera?

define "consumer friendly" and define what kind of camera. I think for the average consumer... (remember that according to statistics the average person takes approximately 25 pictures per year) there are many cameras out there to suit needs at good prices. most people only really enlarge to a MAXIMUM of 8x10, but the average consumer rarely does that anyway. so a 3-5Mp camera is fine for them and can be purchased at pretty reasonable prices.

What is your stance on the dialogue of the future of traditional vs. digital methods?

I agree with ksmattfish on this one. hehehe... my husband has a vw club... (as a strange parallel) and we have the same argument... which is better... air-cooled cars (old bugs, buses) or water-cooled (golf, jettas)... some people are purists to one or the other but the majority of people have at least one of both kinds... and yet, theres still some weird segregation. its all photography... capturing of light... whether i put it on film or a memory card its going to end up in an album or on my wall.

sorry, i'm old school. Film is still much better. more fun to photograph. But I do have digital camera that I use for work..... faster result for the client. Time is money... and I need money.

-Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your professional needs? Traditional

-Do you prefer traditional photography or digital photography for your personal needs? Traditional

-What do you feel is the public opinion regarding using digital over traditional methods? Generally, digital is welcomed with open arms; Everyone can now take good photos with minimal skill (no offense to professional digital photographers...I realize there is plenty of skill still involved, but now anyone can truly take a decent photo easily) and it eliminates the need for developing and prints.

-In your opinion is digital photography truly more cost affective than traditional photography in the long run? Probably in the long run it will save money, but a good dig.camera is expensive while a very cheap good SLR can be had for less than $150.

-What major issues remain to solved involving digital photography? I don't claim to know much about it, but to me, it takes away the chance and magic of learning the manual workings of a camera. The darkroom gives way to photoshop. I prefer to learn the skill behind the traditional methods, which will be lost soon, the way that handwriting and shoemaking have quickly begun to fade.

-How soon will high quality digital cameras reach consumer friendly prices? Do most consumers really need a higher quality digital camera? In this consumer culture, people "need" the highest quality available. The digital cameras of two years ago are now dirt cheap, but considered of very low quality, even though at that time they were cutting edge and expensive. The same goes for all technology, be it cameras, computers, cars, or cookware. If a consumer waits a year to buy that camera he must have, the price will plumet, but a new camera will then be in his views. No, they don't need them, but they want them all the same.

-What is your stance on the dialogue of the future of traditional vs. digital methods? Again, digital, in my opinion, is taking over. There will always be die-hards (I'll probably be one) for traditional methods, and it's interesting that digital is striving to be as close to a traditional camera as possible. They try to make new cameras look, feel, and act like trad. cameras, which is very beneficial for a weathered photographer.

Good luck![/b]

Most reactions

Back